Like Tree103Likes

Is giving up a $150k Engineering job in Silicon Valley to move to HK a bad idea?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    AWS just opened an HK cloud and are ramping up... I bet they are desperate for US trained talent at the moment.
    I’m actually a certified AWS solutions architect so might look into this. I think the only set back and biggest thing to overcome for me is the humid weather.
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:

The Chinese who come back after educated overseas, well there is a reason for it, typically they couldn't make it in the west, couldn't secure a job - yes I'm generalizing but my uni had a lot of Asian and they either went to Google, Facebook or home so that is my observation - most tried to stay overseas as long as possible. So yes there are lots of educated people but that doesn't mean much - I also know a number of friends from uni who could never get a job. Those who come back and work in HK are very HK or Chinese like which is very culturally different. Anyway, my partner is from HK also educated overseas but it was a large adjustment for me. I don't think most Americans could do it.
    Well, I won't go so far as to say those who return home are mostly losers or failures who can't make it. In fact, many returnees to mainland later became successful entrepreneurs. And with the growing visa restrictions and hostile climate to anything Chinese in US politics, many Chinese students are choosing alternative countries to study anyway. Some indeed can't make it in the US, but that's not necessarily due to their incompetence, its simply cultural factors they find hard to adjust and instead managed to make a decent living after returning to China, they certainly are not losers.

As for most Americans not being able to adjust, I won't go so far as to say that either. There is a sizeable American expat population in HK with their own institutions and clubs (i.e. American Chamber of Commerce, American Club etc) after all. Instead of nationality, which might be too broad a category. I think it has more do with individual personalities and preferences. HK can infuriate expats (it can certainly get on my nerves from time-to-time), that I can completely understand, but there are far worse places to move to in this world than this city. At the very least, you don't know even need to learn Chinese to get by. Unlike say Japan or South Korea, where you need to know the local language to make daily living possible long-term.

Some people prefer to stay in their own comfort zone and deal with the things they know well and can predict. Others enjoy stepping out of their comfort zone and experience new things and places, adapting along the well to the particular customs of each location. There is no right or wrong in either approach, it is simply down to one's character and their preferences.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 23-07-2019 at 11:16 AM.
    SonicYouth1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoduck:
    I’m actually a certified AWS solutions architect so might look into this. I think the only set back and biggest thing to overcome for me is the humid weather.
    If it is any consolation, the oppressively humid weather does not last all year. A third to half the year, during the fall and winter, the temperature is more bearable and the humidity will drop significantly. In fact, sometimes in winter you can have the opposite problem, the city becomes too dry and arid!

Agreed, heck it is easier to find a job in the U.S. than Hong Kong... Also FLAG is a poor indicator of the overall Chinese student population in the U.S. since the base bay is much higher compared to what a good software engineer would get in China. it is only at the lead level will the Chinese big tech companies pay competitive salaries. The difference is much less in finance and you will find plenty of Chinese students opt to go directly into the buy side in China, skipping the 2 year IB experience. There are also plenty of rich Chinese who just want to be closer to their family and don't care about what the $$$ they make. Finally there are those that had visa issues.

I agree with this, I can easily find a job back in the UK and a fairly senior position as well. But with some language skills as well as native English, being in Hong Kong means I'll be the priority when it comes to being selected for a regional role, as I am in now.

If my salary is 25% higher in Hong Kong than the UK, with 35% lower tax then its easy to do the maths. Of course, when I have kids my priority may be to return to the UK for better schooling, or perhaps take up a position somewhere else in Asia where the employer would have an education allowance.

Coolboy likes this.

The Sillicon Valley is great for dating, if you are gay. For straight guys it's a challenge from what I hear. Hong Kong is much better. And the taxes are lower.

aceofangel and Coolboy like this.

Yes do it! I know as a BBC it is harder to date in a predominantly white country. Asian men are less desirable, and the pool of Asian girls are quite small.

Heck it should be easier if you have a US passport. Loads of Hong Kongers are looking for a way to get out.

Pauljoecoe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    Yes do it! I know as a BBC it is harder to date in a predominantly white country. Asian men are less desirable, and the pool of Asian girls are quite small.
    Have you ever tried looking Asian and speaking with a British accent in the US?

Oh, and definitely not the case in Australia.
    Last edited by jgl; 23-07-2019 at 05:32 PM.
    UK/HKboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoduck:
    I work in tech as a security engineer in Silicon Valley and I would need to find a job that pays 1.1 million hkd per year to be equivalent to $150k usd. I don’t think there are any engineering jobs that pay that much so should I not even think about it?
    Go for it! I was in a similar situation. Had a chance to go to a decent gig in the states, or come to HK for a bit less, but you can negotiate a housing stipend.

I'm a few months in and haven't looked back. Sometimes you need a change of pace and HK will give you that. Sometimes people need to focus on enjoying the ride rather than just the bottom line.

When it comes time to move back to the states you will be able to put HK on that resume!

P.S. my company does a ton with AWS, drop me a PM, I can put you in touch with some people in the cloud, telco and datacenter space if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by it_guy:
    Go for it! I was in a similar situation. Had a chance to go to a decent gig in the states, or come to HK for a bit less, but you can negotiate a housing stipend.

I'm a few months in and haven't looked back. Sometimes you need a change of pace and HK will give you that. Sometimes people need to focus on enjoying the ride rather than just the bottom line.

When it comes time to move back to the states you will be able to put HK on that resume!

P.S. my company does a ton with AWS, drop me a PM, I can put you in touch with some people in the cloud, telco and datacenter space if you want.

How is working in US vs HK different?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast