Like Tree103Likes

Is giving up a $150k Engineering job in Silicon Valley to move to HK a bad idea?

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Uh... except for the whole accent thing (which applies to either gender).

that's something one can learn to live with.. not like he is going to get perfectly queens (either the UK queen, or the NY queens) english dating some ladies from HK or SZ...
    jgl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jack55:
    Ok man, you're talking about Lei Garden like it's easily beat. Blown away? Many places? It's not like it's Kung Fu dimsum. Oversalted yes, but HK food is not overly fried. They tend to not like that stuff because it's 熱氣. Only younger generation likes fried food. Also the fact that you even bring up Panda Express in jest doesn't help your argument at all.

What do you eat in HK since everything is like Denny's and Panda express to you here?
    I steam my own food whenver I can. Instead of eating at local places I prefer the chains like Fairwood and CafeDeCoral as I value cleanliness and I trust their supply chain more than I do the local place. I mean is the fried pork chop oversalted because its dated? Who knows. At least with the chains there is some form of quality control in place or they face real scrutiny IMO. Eating out I prefer DinTaiFung and Crystal Jade as well as good clean mall restaurants like Nham Trang. But I must say the Vietnamese food in the Bay Area blows Nham Trang out of the water. Mickey D's, Pizza Hut and BLT Burger all are all acceptable. I focus on cleanliness, quality control and supply chain among other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    You are nuts to leave California especially if you already own a home there. The lifestyle tradeoff even at a higher salary is just not worth it IMO. You wont like the humidity and urban density and often times lack of common courtesy (such as holding doors, saying thank you, etc.). And don't listen to anyone say you should move for the great food. The Chinese food in the Bay Area is just as good if not better than it is in HK. Also, in California you can get food from different provinces instead of the preponderance of Cantonese food in HK. Ingredients are better and there is emphasis on organic food which is not commonly found here unless you really look for it. Addittionally, Western food is overpriced because its worshiped when in fact its mediocre. Compared to what you can get at any run of the mill place like a Denny's coffee ship you are going to be paying up the (ryhmes with bass) for it here and it will taste terrrible. IMO stay home.
    I generally agree. I'd argue though that those things are ideals in life, and without international perspective your understanding of their value is limited. International experience, and dating, can bring you fresh perspectives. It's not always about being "comfortable" with the best.

Is the OP considering life with foreign in-laws?

But really, now is not a good time for HK, so that has a certain risk.
    Coolboy, hullexile and UK/HKboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Depends a lot on your specific employer and field. The pay can be better in HK (much better in some cases).

However, and here is the tricky part, the local work culture can be quite different and jarring. Many firms retain a hierarchical top-down authoritarian management style. Office politics is rampant, your colleague who you thought was on friendly terms with you could be backstabbing you when you are not around. And you need to learn how to convey your points and disagreements without making your colleagues "lose face". These issues can be tough to master and navigate.
    Other factor is dress code. I dont know what IT folks wear but if you are in a biz where you wear suits your gonna stand out in your wide American cut suit versus the Euro metrosexual style and cut of dress here. Its just weired when this place feels like the Amazon Jungle during the Summer and you see someone in a body tight suit. This goes for the expats from non North American coutries as well. Its also too feminine looking IMO. Just insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:

Is the OP considering life with foreign in-laws?

But really, now is not a good time for HK, so that has a certain risk.
    The risk is temporary/short-term I think, not going to impact the city long-term (at least I hope so) but you raise a good point with in-laws. How to deal and get along with Chinese in-laws, someone can write a whole book on that!
    it_guy likes this.

Just do it, nothing over here is a big enough deal to be unliveable. Plus, you’ll integrate much faster because you speak canto anyway.

I did it 8 years ago as a single early 30s. Now I’m married with a kid.

it_guy, Coolboy, UK/HKboy and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Uh... except for the whole accent thing (which applies to either gender).

LOL I can never understand why (though I feel the same) how when speaking English, American, European, Australian accents are generally attractive while Asian ones are not.

Other factor is dress code. I dont know what IT folks wear but if you are in a biz where you wear suits your gonna stand out in your wide American cut suit versus the Euro metrosexual style and cut of dress here. Its just weired when this place feels like the Amazon Jungle during the Summer and you see someone in a body tight suit. This goes for the expats from non North American coutries as well. Its also too feminine looking IMO. Just insane.
    I actually prefer the european/British style. Lucky the fashion police are not as aggressive as regular police... lol!
    it_guy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Depends a lot on your specific employer and field. The pay can be better in HK (much better in some cases).

However, and here is the tricky part, the local work culture can be quite different and jarring. Many firms retain a hierarchical top-down authoritarian management style. Office politics is rampant, your colleague who you thought was on friendly terms with you could be backstabbing you when you are not around. And you need to learn how to convey your points and disagreements without making your colleagues "lose face". These issues can be tough to master and navigate.
    Very true about the office politics.
    Coolboy likes this.

I steam my own food whenver I can. Instead of eating at local places I prefer the chains like Fairwood and CafeDeCoral as I value cleanliness and I trust their supply chain more than I do the local place. I mean is the fried pork chop oversalted because its dated? Who knows. At least with the chains there is some form of quality control in place or they face real scrutiny IMO. Eating out I prefer DinTaiFung and Crystal Jade as well as good clean mall restaurants like Nham Trang. But I must say the Vietnamese food in the Bay Area blows Nham Trang out of the water. Mickey D's, Pizza Hut and BLT Burger all are all acceptable. I focus on cleanliness, quality control and supply chain among other factors.
    Have you never observed that the guy who chops the meat does so without gloves and plays with his cell phone in between, which he probably aso used on the toilet ?
    That's why I never eat at such chains.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast