Like Tree103Likes

Is giving up a $150k Engineering job in Silicon Valley to move to HK a bad idea?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Is giving up a $150k Engineering job in Silicon Valley to move to HK a bad idea?

I work in tech as a security engineer in Silicon Valley and I would need to find a job that pays 1.1 million hkd per year to be equivalent to $150k usd. I don’t think there are any engineering jobs that pay that much so should I not even think about it?

MandM! likes this.

What's up, Duck?
    You only mention salary and if that's the only criteria then the answer should be clear cut (after figuring in the difference in cost of living). Are there other reasons you would consider moving?

shri likes this.

Are you going to miss your spacious home and garage with remote door. Excellent supermarkets, the convenience of drive thru take out, the uncrowded nature of doing your day to day stuff, fresh air, your innovative work environment and presently, very comforatable income.

Like what Huja asks, what is your criteria for moving, what improvement would it make to your life if you did?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    the uncrowded nature of doing your day to day
    Drive in California much?
    shri, orel100x and jgl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon Goon:
    You deliberately missed off the next words when quoting. "Day to day stuff" does not mean driving as far as I understand English
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    You deliberately missed off the next words when quoting. "Day to day stuff" does not mean driving as far as I understand English
    Drive in the Bay Area much?

Many ppl move to HK because of a significant increase in pay... This money allows them to deal with the heat, crowds, and any other thing you may not like about life here. Don't move here unless you have a much higher paying job.

GentleGeorge likes this.

Lots of jobs out here will pay you that (and much more) but find one before you come out. Recruiters will be able to help here.

Great lifestyle, excellent food, low taxes and lots of opportunities at cost of cramped life and hot weather.

You want to leave a nice paying job to come to a chaotic environment? HKs troubles continue....

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon Goon:
    There's always a trade off, but for the most part, California is cool banana's in my opinion. Cool car culture, easy to get things maintained etc. excellent housing especially if you earn good coin. And when I say uncrowded nature, I meant things like supermarket shopping, eating out, going to the cineplex, leisure activities that sort of thing. Yes traffic can be a bit of a pain but what about all the other aspects ? If one decided to drive at peak hour in HK, that's no bowl of cherries either, although distances are shorter but hectic enough with a me first car crowd. I never really enjoyed sharing packed public transport nor the motion sickness from jerky bus and the on / off the gas pedal stale smelling taxi rides. It's pretty hectic on the crowded MTR at peak times too, which gets quite tiresome.

But isnt it nice coming home in the evenings to a spacious house ( America and Australia are very similar in this regard ) with loads of storage space and all the modern conveniences in a neat and tidy lawn nature strip street. Being able to wash your car in your driveway on a sunny Saturday morning etc with some tunes on the radio and a cold drink.

Nah, I'll take sunny California any day of the week...
    Kowloon Goon, bdw and markranson like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast