Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes

A&F and Hollister Brands

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC
    In the US, these two related brands, both under the A&F umbrella, are marketed toward the university and pre-university crowds, respectively. And in the past the brands, especially A&F, propagated "whiteness" as evidenced by the many lawsuits and backlashes against the company. A&F sold a tee shirt collection in 2002 specifically mocking people of Chinese and Japanese descent. That seems to be less of an issue today than years ago but I'm seriously curious, why adults in HK choose to wear these brands. If you walked into an A&F or Hollister store in the US, the only folks 30 and over you see in the stores will be ones buying it for their kids. No adult, regardless of ethnicity, would been seen in A&F or Hollister wear. Yet in HK, adults 30 (age loosely defined) and above see it as another lifestyle brand. I'm wondering if its intentional respositioning on the part of the company's brand marketers or just some trend locals have started without knowing the history and the positioing of the brands.

Corrected it for you

There are others who miss the mark also

Last edited by East_coast; 12-08-2019 at 05:27 PM.

To me, A&F is not related to "whiteness" per se. I am more likely to think of preppy jocks who bully others. Their former CEO kinda reinforces this view of the company and company culture.

This is a reason why i don't buy their clothes, rather than the racist line of clothing (which doesn't really bother me).

As for people who buy it, they probably don't know all the scandals behind the brand. And their marketing of hiring good looking people and putting good looking people in their clothes works at making people want to buy their clothes.

I've seen more people who proudly list they work at A&F rather than at Bossini, H&M and M&S... even they are all just sales assistants.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2