Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

A&F and Hollister Brands

A&F and Hollister Brands

In the US, these two related brands, both under the A&F umbrella, are marketed toward the university and pre-university crowds, respectively. And in the past the brands, especially A&F, propagated "whiteness" as evidenced by the many lawsuits and backlashes against the company. There have even been A&F tee shirts sold specifically mocking people of Chinese descent. That seems to be less of an issue today than years ago but I'm seriously curious, why adults in HK choose to wear these brands. If you walked into an A&F or Hollister store in the US, the only folks 30 and over you see in the stores will be ones buying it for their kids. No adult, regardless of ethnicity, would been seen in A&F or Hollister wear. Yet in HK, adults 30 (age loosely defined) and above see it as another lifestyle brand. I'm wondering if its intentional respositioning on the part of the company's brand marketers or just some trend locals have started without knowing the history and the positioing of the brands.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC
    In the US, these two related brands, both under the A&F umbrella, are marketed toward the university and pre-university crowds, respectively. And in the past the brands, especially A&F, propagated "whiteness" as evidenced by the many lawsuits and backlashes against the company. There have even been A&F tee shirts sold specifically mocking people of Chinese descent. That seems to be less of an issue today than years ago but I'm seriously curious, why adults in HK choose to wear these brands. If you walked into an A&F or Hollister store in the US, the only folks 30 and over you see in the stores will be ones buying it for their kids. No adult, regardless of ethnicity, would been seen in A&F or Hollister wear. Yet in HK, adults 30 (age loosely defined) and above see it as another lifestyle brand. I'm wondering if its intentional respositioning on the part of the company's brand marketers or just some trend locals have started without knowing the history and the positioing of the brands.
    Here in the Philippines it is because fake t-shirts of those brands are dirt cheap, don't know if it is the same in Hong Kong.
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Maybe Bossini has had its run. Some upper crust HKers told me they would not be seen in any Bossini branded stuff.

Why do so many Hong Kong men pop their collar when wearing polo shirts? Because they have no clue about what is fashionable.

guilty as charged some of my t-shirts are 10+ y/o

Kowloon Goon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon Goon
    Why do so many Hong Kong men pop their collar when wearing polo shirts? Because they have no clue about what is fashionable.
    I heard that is to protect one's neck from getting a tan.
    Kowloon Goon and imparanoic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC
    I heard that is to protect one's neck from getting a tan.
    Seriously? Lol. I thought they were going for the vampire look.

Seriously? Lol. I thought they were going for the vampire look.
    Yeah, initially I thought it was to look "GQ" but was told its for sun protection. But what's the point of protecting one's neck and not the face? Seems if you are gonna do that might as well wear a cap or better yet just go "A-rab".
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

I'm not much of a shopper (and what I buy mostly from abroad) - but in Hong Kong I see the likes of Uniqlo, Bossini, Giordano... all fairly cheap. And then you have the expensive brands (luxury, or even the likes of AX or Levis which are still not cheap for just a pair of jeans) - what's in between?

Short of wasting time with small unheard of shops (of which there are many, but not everyone can be bothered) - where does one go for something mid-range? American Eagle is slightly cheaper I suppose, but surely that's aimed at a similar age bracket. GAP quality is pretty crap, no Banana Republic here, and never been a huge fan of Zara either.

Hence I buy overseas, but to answer the OP... is this a possible reason? It's consistent OK quality, probably still not good value for money, but still cheaper than many alternatives.

That was the trend back in the 80's. Ray Bans and rain coat with collar turned up like Mark Ge.
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast