Questions re: Work permit

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Questions re: Work permit

First off, apologies to anyone that may have previously started a relevant post that may answer my questions. If I didn't see, it wasn't from not looking. Just point me in the direction, and off I'll go....

First question: If I am hired by an employer in HK, can I start working for them WHILE they are applying for the work permit for me? I understand this process could take up to a month. Is there some kind of temporary permit that would allow you to start for the employer right away?

Second: (and I have read some similiar posts regarding this but I'm still not too clear on it): From the posts I've read, it seems that if I change employers while in HK, my new employer still has to go thru the whole application process for my new work permit. I've read here that I don't actually (physically) get a new permit, but the new employer needs to apply for one anyway.

So, I assume that when I first come to HK and get a work permit, it's not "mine to keep and travel around with?" I.e. I can't quit my first job and find a new job without the govt finding out?

And, as implied from what I said earlier and what I've been reading, it's just as much as a pain in the a** for the new employer to apply for the change in work permit as it was for the original employer to apply for the original permit.

Having assumed all this, they WHY do I see SO MANY jobs asking that you already must have the work permit as a prerequisite to being hired? This sort of implies that it is much easier for them to hire someone with the permit than it is to hire someone without, who is fresh from abroad.

Anyone able to shed some light on this? Thanks to any and all who can help.

1. No you can't, officially. In practice of course you could happen to be waiting in their office while the application is in progress and then be paid a joining bonus equal to what you would have been paid were you able to work during that period. Whether your employer is happy to do this is something you would need to discuss with them.

2. Correct in that if you existing Employment Visa has more than 6 months to run then you will simply get a letter from Immigration authorising you to take up the new employment. If it has less than six months to run then they will issue a new one for you.

3. Correct.

4. The forms are the same and you have to submit the same documents again, but in my experience the response can be much quicker (mine was around 7 weeks when I first came here, and 3 weeks when I later changed jobs)

5. I suspect that what they are asking for is people who do not need Employment Visas in order to work. These are essentially:
    - HK Citizens & Permanent Residents;
    - people holding Dependent Visas sponsored by (i.e normally, married to) a HK Citizen or Permanent Resident;
    - people holding Dependent Visas where their sponsor is someone holding an Employment Visa (or some other type of conditional visa - e.g. Education or Investment) AND they have continuously resident in HK with that Dependent Visa since before 1 July 2003.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by berryplucker; 12-05-2005 at 10:14 PM.

1. Agreed
    2. If you change employers then your old employer has to inform Immigration and your new employer applies for a change of employer. I have done this and changing employers is much easier mainly because immigration already has the background information on you such as degree certificates etc and so there is less time involved.
    I think that this is so immigration can keep a track of what you are earning and so you pay the correct income tax at the end of the year. (There is no PAYE system out here, you pay one lump sum at the end of the year - very scary!)

Thanks for the good information. It's much appreciated. I suppose now I understand why some employers require that you already have a work permit before they will hire you, as it saves them time to reapply for you.
    Thanks again.

hello
    i wont work parmit visa
    but i do not know how to appy and wich type document want
    and i have no job in hk
    i want start net cyber cafe plz send me informestion

It is really very difficult to get a work permit with out a job. As i say i got my Work permit after my employer applied for the same and with a lot of hassle.. May be you can check on entrepreneur visa if available. I think there should be an investor's visa..

plz what i do without job i want work parmit plz find way to me ok

Best way is to get a solicitor's help who can help you. There are plenty in HK..

What if rejected?

Hi All,

I just had a question reading this whole thread which, I thought, I'll ask and find out the answer.

I am working in the IT industry and have a decent no. of work exp. I've got an offer from a company in HK and they are going to rocess my work visa to get me in there. Can my work visa get rejected? In fact, I'm sure, there's always a possibility. What is the suggested course of action in such a situation? The company also has an office in Tokyo (and I am in Tokyo right now) so can I request them to let me work in Tokyo? But, my offer letter has it mentioned that I'm going to be an employee in their Hk office. So, how does it work? Do they re-apply for me again?

And, one problem is, if with the possibility of my work visa in HK getting rejected, I resign from my current job, what is the security of my new employment in HK? I mean, I am afraid of the situation where I end-up resigning from my current job also and later on, coming to know that even my HK work visa has been rejected!!

Can somebody please help me with this situation. This is very very urgent for me and I need some quick reply on this!! Any help would be REALLY appreciated!!

uh! oh!

This is going to be a problem, I mean, not quitting till the visa is stamped and ready!!.... coz' the whole visa process in HK will take about 6 weeks and then, I give my official resignation and 1 month notice period, so another 4 weeks and also, my new company in HK is expecting me to join ASAP!!

So, if I explain my concerns about the HK visa getting rejected and so, my NOT giving a resignation to the employer till the visa is done, will they understand? I mean, I'm just thinking aloud and discussing issues here.

Please advise!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast