Western Midlevels

Closed Thread

Western Midlevels

Your guidence please....

I have accepted a position with a compnay based in Hong Kong and will shortly be moving there from Australia. As part of my package, my employer has agreed to pay the rent on a furnished apartment. Ideally, I would like to live in an area with quick and easy access to down town Hong Kong and would apprecaite your advise on the Mid levels, and in particular the Western Midlevels.
    Does the Western Midlevels have an abundance of furnished accomodation? Most of the website I have seen offering rental properties don't seem to have any furnished apartmnets. Is their a specific company that specailises in furnished property, other than serviced apartmnets?

Thanks in advance

The J doesn't stand for JIM, does it? The western mid-levels kicks ass. lots of expats, close to Central, good transportation, not too expensive and yes, you CAN get a furnished apartment. the best thing to do is to call an agent and have 'em find you something...

prolly robinsion rd in mid levels

Thankyou jayinhongkong for your views on the Western Midlevels. I will take a closer look at this area when I finally arrive in Hong Kong, as I'm currently waiting for my work visa to be approved. When I arrive, I will as you suggest enlist the services of an agent to assit with finding a fully furnished apartment.
    Yes, the 'J' stands for Jim.

Western midlevels

If you're going to use an agent, just be aware that not all of them (and in my recent experience not many) are scrupulously honest about the whole process. The agent may not tell you this, but you may be one of several people interested in a decent flat, and if so, you and the others will be played off one against the other until the owner decides which one he/she wants. Ask the agent straight out from the start whether there are others interested in the flat. If they hedge, move on: you will save yourself much time and bother. Another thing: use several agents in your search to maximise your possibilities. Also be aware that some landlords (usually Chinese) will drag the process out (often by asking for ridiculously personal information - eg. how much do you have in your bank account), consequently frustrating you to the point where you will opt out (and thus allowing them to save "face").

As for myself, after two tediously trying encounters with some rather sly agents, I decided to cut them out of the process altogether (thus saving myself a fee of usually - half a month's rent) and rented directly from a Western owner. Good luck!