Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By -1983-

Broadband connection

Closed Thread

Broadband connection

Hi, I had a 30 month contract with other HGC broadband, however now (after 18 months) I am moving to an older flat where hgc does not provide broadband services. It has the landline connection though. When I spoke to the rep at HGC, they mentioned that I need to pay the installation charges that were waived off when I first got the connection. On reading the agreement however, I realised that the waived off charges become payable only if you break the contract within 180days of installation. I am planning to have a conversation with HGC again, but wanted to know what options do I have? I am not sure if HGC will be able to provide the broadband connection to me by charging extra (if it is at all possible). Can definitely use some guidance here.

Ok.. I do have the HGC connection for 30 months though as per the contract. Since I am ending the contract before hand, do I need to pay for the rest of the months?

Whatever you do do not rent their router. Get your own.

Most companies will let you cancel if you move to a place they don't provide the same service. A family member recently moved from a place with HKBN 1000Mbps to another where they could only provide 100Mbps. Since they could not provide the same speeds, the option to cancel was given, no fees or anything. Another option was to start another contract at a reduced price(by 30 dollars) with the slower connection.

Not sure what the particulars of the HGC contracts are but try to negotiate and get them to waive the fee. In my experience, mentioning that you will consult with the consumer council usually gets them to soften up their stance a bit on stuff like this.

chuckster007 likes this.