Like Tree5Likes

Dehumidifer with air purifer

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dehumidifer with air purifer

I know there's another active dehumidifier thread but I did not want to hijack it for the purposes of my specific question.

If anyone has one of these, I'd like some input. Are they effective at doing both? I've read through some of the older threads from around 07 and 2016 or so discussing the best dehumidifiers for use in HK, none seemed to mention ones with an air purifier, maybe they were not as readily available as they seem to be today.

Now I'm looking at a few compressor type dehumidifier priced at around 2k , I'm wondering if I should spend an extra 1k or so for the cheapest dehumidifier/air purifier combo, the ones with a 2.5pm.hepa/carbon and ionizer. My main reason is that these 3k models offer slightly bigger tanks. I don't know if they do a good enough job as an air purifier that I can get rid of my current sharp air purifier to safe some space.

I have this one because it was on sale when I was looking, it is quiet (big thing for me) and has 4-liter tank that fills up about once a day (less frequently in the dry winter time). I bought it for maybe 3500, I needed something urgently as was having problems with condensate drain in my AC and trying to reduce the load (ended up needed work on the condensate line).

Never had an air purifier before, so can't really comment if you can get rid of your other unit but seems to get all the fuzz/dust on the outside filter and then the HEPA filter gets the rest.

https://www.philips.com.hk/en/c-p/DE...r-dehumidifier

-1983- likes this.

HEPA filters are not rocket science, they are simply a fan in front of a folded paper filter. I have rigged up fans blowing into cheap replacement filters, and they worked perfectly fine (but were fugly). As long as you get decent airflow through the filter, it will clean the area.

The main considerations with a 2-in-1 machine would be:

1. Can you keep the fan going without the compressor kicking in? The compressor chews up hundreds of watts to operate the dehumidifying function. A fan blowing through a filter will consume about 15W.

2. Will it run quietly enough for you, and can you manually set the speed in case it's too noisy or not fast enough to be effective?

Personally, my take on it is that carbon filters and ionisers are not important considerations in HK. Main thing to focus on is particle filtration.

-1983- and jrkob like this.

Thanks guys. The Philips one seems nice but it's a bit too large. I did have a look at Fortress in Sheung Wan the other day at a Whirlpool model which is a lot slimmer but the sales staff on duty was not very helpful or knowledgeable about the products. I was able to look at the filter which seemed basic, Hepa, and a thin layer of carbon plus a silver ion prefilter. Anyway, I'm probably overthinking this seeing as I don't even use my air filter that much, only some evenings when fumes from the increased activity from the boats in the harbor sometimes produce a strong petrol smell in the air. I'm sure the basic ones included in the combo units will do ok for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    I have this one because it was on sale when I was looking, it is quiet (big thing for me) and has 4-liter tank that fills up about once a day (less frequently in the dry winter time). I bought it for maybe 3500, I needed something urgently as was having problems with condensate drain in my AC and trying to reduce the load (ended up needed work on the condensate line).

Never had an air purifier before, so can't really comment if you can get rid of your other unit but seems to get all the fuzz/dust on the outside filter and then the HEPA filter gets the rest.

https://www.philips.com.hk/en/c-p/DE...r-dehumidifier

How often do you need to replace the filter in this with your normal usage?

I read the manual on the Whirlpool model I wanted to buy states I need to replace the filter every 3-6 months. At 399 each, that will end up costing me quite a bit extra in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by -1983-:
    How often do you need to replace the filter in this with your normal usage?

I read the manual on the Whirlpool model I wanted to buy states I need to replace the filter every 3-6 months. At 399 each, that will end up costing me quite a bit extra in the long run.
    Slap 3M Filtrete from Japan Home over it as a replaceable prefilter, and you should be able to go for years.
    -1983- likes this.

I replaced it after a year, it wasn't that dirty- there is a washable prefilter screen mesh thing, that picks up a ton of dust, I wash that every couple of weeks or so.

-1983- likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Slap 3M Filtrete from Japan Home over it as a replaceable prefilter, and you should be able to go for years.

I've seen those, will that really be enough to take on the same amount of dust a hepa filter can handle?

Quote Originally Posted by -1983-:
    I've seen those, will that really be enough to take on the same amount of dust a hepa filter can handle?
    Not sure I understand what you are asking.

The 3M stuff acts as a prefilter for coarse dust, so that the HEPA filter doesn't get clogged up with harmless dust (dust doesn't post a health risk like PM2.5 particles).

Once in a while you just replace the cheap 3M stuff with another sheet. At a stretch you can probably run 4-6 months, but you can just eyeball it and when the dust gets really thick, replace the layer.

If you do this, your HEPA filter should last for 3x or more what the manufacturer states.

This is based purely on what I've tried and measured with my own filters so YMMV. e.g. if you smoke at home or burn candles, it will probably be a totally different story.

Someone selling his 2 in 1 Philips dehumidifier in the classifieds...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast