Like Tree86Likes

Should I fly back to HK amidst this Coronavirus madness?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    That's terrible advice. Ideas like that spread the virus up North and put an extra burden on remote rural health care systems. Many people in Norway were thinking the same, but got ordered back to the cities by their government.
    Damn, you're on a roll - another idiot post.

He's a Canadian. He's in Vancouver. Tofino is a nearby tourist town (like Tai O to HK). It has hotels, rental cabins with kitchenettes and a tourist capacity 3 times its population. It has a hospital operated by the Vancouver Health Authority. I'm essentially suggesting self-quarantine near where he already is.

What's your genius advice, fly 11 hours in a sealed tincan with 300 others back to a city of 7 million and quarantine ?
    Coolboy and gigglinggal like this.

I'll stay out of the holier than thou attitude. I am not interested in judging what is right or wrong when I have no knowledge of someone's personal situation. I'll stick with the facts, in the last while, most of the cases in HK have come from people flying in and with so few flights coming in, it would seem that your chances of catching the virus would be significantly higher at the moment. I don't know that it will be any better in a month though. I know that in my case, I wouldn't fly unless I had a very good reason to do so.

If you live in a big house, can stock all the essentials in garage, the house is in a very safe area, you should stay in Canada. You have better chance not get virus in next 12-18 months and still have peaceful life. If you are debating whether comes back now or end of April, then probably now is better as the hospital still has capability.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun:
    Damn, you're on a roll - another idiot post.

He's a Canadian. He's in Vancouver. Tofino is a nearby tourist town (like Tai O to HK). It has hotels, rental cabins with kitchenettes and a tourist capacity 3 times its population. It has a hospital operated by the Vancouver Health Authority. I'm essentially suggesting self-quarantine near where he already is.

What's your genius advice, fly 11 hours in a sealed tincan with 300 others back to a city of 7 million and quarantine ?
    This belongs right here.

https://www.timescolonist.com/covid-...ces-1.24101149

The advice is to stay in Vancouver.
    TigerSun and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    The advice is to stay in Vancouver.
    Touché, nice find ,
    it's almost like you have some expertise with google.
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    If you look at the CHP list there aren't many confirmed cases on incoming flights. 31.03 there were 3 on VS206 from London. Assuming it was a full flight that's about 1%. There also were 3 on CX256, which is also about 1%. I obviously don't know the actual number passengers on each flight.

I'm not saying there isn't a risk, but it doesn't seem very high. Certainly not much higher than going to the supermarket. Everyone saying OP should not come here because every arrival is a drain on government resources does so for the same selfish reasons as somebody who considers travelling here. Everybody just considers what's "best" for themselves. But at least OP wasn't trying to wrap it into some altruistic motive.
    It’s the amount of time spent near them in a confined space that the issue. I’m in the grocery store for maybe 20 minutes and not directly near the same person or people.

On a flight you have no idea if the person sitting next to you, or the one who uses the toilet right before you do, is the one infected individual. Additionally the flights get added up to 14 days after the fact. I have a friend who chose to self quarantine after finding her flight from 6 days earlier appear on the list and seeing a nearby seat number.

Right now short of emergency situations eg separated from your kids or elder parents who need care, everyone should be staying where they are.
    TigerSun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Living the dream, hey ?

Ballsy, DILLIGAF Millennial post of the thread !
    I'd been out of HK for 2 months and my visa expired where I was. HK was literally the only place I could go.

But saying that if you're going into quarantine and practice social distancing, wear a mask and practice good hygiene on the flight and at the airport, and after your quarantine (our plane was less than half full so we could sit far away from others quite easily, and we were squirting alcohol gel so often I thought we might get drunk by osmosis) I think it is possible to travel safely. Safer than what I see from photos of HK with people swarming malls, eating casually in restaurants etc.

The last 2 weeks we were overseas we voluntarily quarantined anyway as the situation got serious, except for occasional night time walks to 7/11

Having looked at the number of tests per million residents combined with the crowded hospitals, I feel pretty certain that HK numbers are massively underestimated / underreported, but that's a side issue.
    Last edited by justjoe86; 05-04-2020 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Have you ever been tested for autism? Not so much this single post, just a feeling from your posts over the past few days in particular and the past few years in general.
    She may be delusional as well. I remember there was a thread, where she recalled how she "headed into London and spent the next few days, pretty much being unable to communicate with anyone (in English)." Weird enough because from my personal experience, there wasn't a single day that I couldn't get around London speaking English.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    I'd been out of HK for 2 months and my visa expired where I was. HK was literally the only place I could go.

But saying that if you're going into quarantine and practice social distancing, wear a mask and practice good hygiene on the flight and at the airport, and after your quarantine (our plane was less than half full so we could sit far away from others quite easily, and we were squirting alcohol gel so often I thought we might get drunk by osmosis) I think it is possible to travel safely. Safer than what I see from photos of HK with people swarming malls, eating casually in restaurants etc.

The last 2 weeks we were overseas we voluntarily quarantined anyway as the situation got serious, except for occasional night time walks to 7/11

Having looked at the number of tests per million residents combined with the crowded hospitals, I feel pretty certain that HK numbers are massively underestimated / underreported, but that's a side issue.
    Fair enough, it's certainly a shiz time to fly. An Aussie mate who is also a HKPR, flew over here ( Aus ) for a wedding a few weeks ago and is now finding it extremely difficult to get back to Hong Kong where he lives.

It's amazing how quickly our world has changed since January.
    Morrison likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Fair enough, it's certainly a shiz time to fly. An Aussie mate who is also a HKPR, flew over here ( Aus ) for a wedding a few weeks ago and is now finding it extremely difficult to get back to Hong Kong where he lives.

It's amazing how quickly our world has changed since January.
    Yeah it's fucked up. The US is going to get devastated I think, the way it's being handled over there combined with the health issues (both in terms of obesity numbers and health insurance nonsense) and of course Donald's Trump's desire to say whatever he thinks might help the stock market with disregard for anything else.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast