Like Tree86Likes

Should I fly back to HK amidst this Coronavirus madness?

Reply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. #41

    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    This belongs right here.

    https://www.timescolonist.com/covid-...ces-1.24101149


    The advice is to stay in Vancouver.
    This seems to be an issue across the country where city folks are trying to go to their cottages/flats from the city and it's creating tensions. In Quebec the government is actually restricting access and have put up police barriers to prevent people from the city visiting certain regions. I know that in Ottawa/Gatineau, Quebec is trying to prevent ontarians to cross the border and the same goes from Montreal people going north to the Laurentians.

    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...id-new-travel/

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,292

    One can get paralyzed in the analysis. Common sense says if you are doing OK where you are and living in a suburban house, you are far better off where you are. Going through two maybe three airports and traveling in a confined space such as an jet with strangers to a densely populated place is not a smart risk/reward move IMO.


  3. #43

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,458
    Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    One can get paralyzed in the analysis. Common sense says if you are doing OK where you are and living in a suburban house, you are far better off where you are. Going through two maybe three airports and traveling in a confined space such as an jet with strangers to a densely populated place is not a smart risk/reward move IMO.
    Yeah agree with this. Although I said it's up to you and it can be pretty safe if you take precautions, if I had the opportunity to stay in Canada I would, unless you need to be back for work reasons or whatever.
    TigerSun likes this.

  4. #44

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Because something is legal does not make it right. That is something most people learn when they are children, perhaps you have helped identify your issue.
    Right. But then who decides what's right? Hullexile and coolboy from the internet?

    I genuinely believe certain aspects of the stricter lock downs in Europe are morally wrong. Am I then free to ignore them on moral grounds (of course facing the consequences of being caught)?

    Beyond the legal system of any one country people will have their own moral codes. Some will closely mirror yours, others not.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    21,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon72:
    Right. But then who decides what's right? Hullexile and coolboy from the internet?

    I genuinely believe certain aspects of the stricter lock downs in Europe are morally wrong. Am I then free to ignore them on moral grounds (of course facing the consequences of being caught)?

    Beyond the legal system of any one country people will have their own moral codes. Some will closely mirror yours, others not.
    Society generally. Society, as far as I can tell, seems to be sending a message of 'stay the fuck home".

    Of course you are free to do whatever you like. There is no law against being selfish.

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,576

    Taiwan just granted everyone an additional 30 days, no formalities required. Much appreciated, I will see the mango season


  7. #47

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Society generally. Society, as far as I can tell, seems to be sending a message of 'stay the fuck home".

    Of course you are free to do whatever you like. There is no law against being selfish.
    Do mentions work in here? A regular poster is currently at HK airport, I presume about to check-in for a flight. Would be good to get his 'hot take' on this. @MRChips
    Last edited by Kowloon72; 06-04-2020 at 09:05 PM. Reason: @mentions

  8. #48

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Society generally. Society, as far as I can tell, seems to be sending a message of 'stay the fuck home".

    Of course you are free to do whatever you like. There is no law against being selfish.
    And how do we judge society's opinion? Does society have one universal opinion or is there room for diversity? Via social media? Shared behaviours? In Europe the governments resorted to coercion as a significant number of people didn't want to stay at home. 65,000 at Cheltenham days before a full lock down. I pass hundreds if not thousands of people out on non-essential business in HK everyday, sit with dozens in restaurants and bars everyweek. Why is it their opinion on what is right doesn't get to contribute to society more broadly, and only the opinions that fit with the way you think?
    Last edited by Kowloon72; 06-04-2020 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Terribe spelling, grammar, typos
    HK_Katherine likes this.

  9. #49

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    21,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon72:
    And how do we judge society's opinion? Does society have one universal opinion or is there room for diversity? Via social media? Shared behaviours? In Europe the governments resorted to coercion as a significant number of people didn't want to stay at home. 65,000 at Cheltenham days before a full lock down. I pass hundreds if not thousands of people out on non-essential business in HK everyday, sit with dozens in restaurants and bars everyweek. Why is it their opinion on what is right doesn't get to contribute to society more broadly, and only the opinions that fit with the way you think?
    You make your choice to potentially spread the virus and be a non thinking killer. It is not illegal so you are free to do it. Up to you if you can live with that.

  10. #50

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    48

    Thanks for all the opinions everyone. I ended up deferring my flight indefinitely - but to be honest Canada's numbers aren't in great shape either.

    Either way, not looking forward to the mandatory testing that will await me when I'm back. It doesn't look pleasant.

    Skyhook likes this.

Reply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast