Like Tree86Likes

Should I fly back to HK amidst this Coronavirus madness?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Should I fly back to HK amidst this Coronavirus madness?

Hi everyone. Looking for a bit of advice as I'm stuck as to what to do.

I flew back to Vancouver earlier in the year for a bit of an extended trip. I then extended the trip till early April because of the whole Coronavirus madness (I am a Canadian citizen).

I have the flexibility that I'm not tied down to a job right now. Is it better to wait it out a little longer or just get it over with and fly back to HK now and do the 14 day quarantine? The quarantine is the least of my worries - I'm more concerned about the flight back. The original flight was booked for April 9th, but I have to make a decision soon whether I'm going to fly or defer it till April 28th (the earliest next flight available on my carrier).

People in Canada are doing a decent job of social distancing. Restaurants are required to do take-out only and basically everything is closed except essential services.

Thanks a lot!

What is the rush back if you don't have to be in HK?

Defer until end of April at least.

Coolboy, Tyresmoke, huja and 1 others like this.

Please don't. No unnecessary travel during the pandemic. Just stay home!

Jackie1, Coolboy, huja and 6 others like this.

In HK it might be easier to contain the outbreak by monitoring the infected and tracing their contacts.
    In Canada this strategy does not work anymore as with 12,000 infected the
    number of contacts these 12k had is quite high, so over there it is phase 2 mitigation of growth of infected ppl. This might take many moons

angeluscomplex likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    What is the rush back if you don't have to be in HK?

Defer until end of April at least.
    Agreed.

As for the OP, unless there is some pressing need/emergency that you must return to HK, then I strongly advise you stay put for the time being. Unless you enjoyed being put under a 14 day quarantine, I think you are better off in Canada.
    Jackie1 and markranson like this.

Bollocks to the other advice, get back to Hong Kong as soon as you can before flights stop completely.

The west is doing an inanely incompetent job of handling it. HK is much safer. Get over here, do your quarantine, stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Bollocks to the other advice, get back to Hong Kong as soon as you can before flights stop completely.

The west is doing an inanely incompetent job of handling it. HK is much safer. Get over here, do your quarantine, stay safe.
    Every traveler to HK right now is a drain on government resources (and ultimately taxpayer money), because we need to quarantine and track them, not to mention a potential health hazard in the form of infectious patients and dragging out the shut down for businesses in HK. I for one is not sympathetic to selfish travelers who only think of themselves and not the community.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 04-04-2020 at 08:15 PM.
    Elegiaque and markranson like this.

Hong Kong may be safer but you might catch the virus during the flight - in fact flight cabin and the toilets inside are the most dangerous places now.

Jaz Paul, RMDNC and markranson like this.

Stay where you are. There are sick people on almost every flight. Check the CHP link for the list of flights that had an infected person on it if you don’t believe me. Do you want to spend 15 hours next to someone positive with COVID?

Morrison, Coolboy, RMDNC and 4 others like this.

Original Post Deleted
    That's terrible advice. Ideas like that spread the virus up North and put an extra burden on remote rural health care systems. Many people in Norway were thinking the same, but got ordered back to the cities by their government.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast