What is there to do in Shatin . . .?

Closed Thread

What is there to do in Shatin . . .?

Besides New Town Plaza, City One, and the museum? Any little gems the city has to offer during the 3 months (May-Jul) I'll be here?

Take a look at http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/...dist_new.jhtml .. I am surprised they don't mention the Ten Thousand Buddhas Temple though..

I have been living in Shatin from birth to teenage. It's a typical self-contained residential area I would say... Excellent transportation to anywhere else (esp with the new MOS rail) with a nice local shopping mall (New Town Plaza) for a family day out.

Maybe try the "river side" biking route all the way to Tai Po.

I haven't been to Ten Thousand Buddhas Temple for aaaages but it looks good in the opening sequence of the movie "Infernal Affairs".

Also next month there is the International Dragon Boat Race (or something with a similar name) in the "river".

Well, don't forget there is a racecourse and also a park inside it!

Thanks for the suggestions!

How do you get to the Ten Thousand Buddhas Temple? (I love Infernal Affairs.)

sKorpia,

Go out from New Town Plaza as if you are going to Grand Central / Ikea. As you get to the bottom of the slope from the bus terminus you will see a car park to your left with some very old houses. Cross that car park and go towards the left corner where there will be the start of a pathway. The 10,000 buddha temple is signposted from there. Beware it's a steep climb up all those stairs, especially in the summer!

There is also another temple nearby which is approached from the car park behind Grand Central Plaza. Also Shatin park which is near to New Town Plaza. Che Kung Temple is also worth a look. There's Lion Rock Country Park nearby and Amah rock which gives you spectacular views over Shatin. Another place worth a visit is Tsang Tai Uk village.

JK