Like Tree11Likes

Buying a Chromebook in HK

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Buying a Chromebook in HK

Seems hard to find a decent selection anywhere. Looking for something up to $2k mainly for Zooming if any suggestions on where to buy or models.

Buying from Amazon overseas doesn't seem a good option right now.

Either go to wan Chai computer center or Golden computer plaza in Sham Shui Po.

or look on here 1st before going to the shops (right click translate into English)

https://www.price.com.hk/search.php?g=A&q=chromebook

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried the main computer centres except Sham Shui Po but the selection is limited. Lucky to find even 1 in a shop selling PC's. Also tried Mongkok. Chromebooks are a rare breed in HK and not in your typical computer shop. Hoping for somewhere that actually has more than 1 or 2 models in the whole shop if you or anyone can help thanks

Golden centre in SSP definitely will

They are pretty rare here - I bought a cheap imported US model on Yahoo Auctions a few years back, which I've been using as a Zoom terminal during The Thing, but I actually also just today installed a third-party ChromeOS build on another old laptop of mine, which seems to be working very very well. There are things that don't work without the magic Google juice, like Android apps, but other wise it's nice, touchscreen works well, I just did a Zoom presentation on it this evening!

imparanoic likes this.

I bought mine from Amazon US. Don't think they do HK shipping at the moment though.

what is the point of a chrome book. I am not trying to see what is the compelling offer?

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:
    what is the point of a chrome book. I am not trying to see what is the compelling offer?
    Combination of things:
    • There are a significant number of people who do effectively all their consumer computing in a browser nowadays.
    • Tuning a machine to run nothing except Chrome on Linux lets it be far more efficient - so cheaper, lighter, more battery life - than a more general-purpose machine.
    • A simple software stack with standardised updates is much easier to keep up-to-date and secure.
    • They're very popular in education in the US because they're more capable (and often cheaper) than an iPad, but keep the same limited distractions, easy management, etc.
    • Same applies to something like a Zoom terminal - a laptop form factor is more convenient, but you don't need it to do much more than one thing at a time.

They are absolutely not for everybody, although as they add Android and Linux software support they can do pretty much anything any other computer can do. For me, until recently, I liked the little light plastic Chromebook with excellent battery and so-so everything else as a machine for workshops/conferences - I could do last-minute edits to my slides and even present from it, but it would be more convenient than carrying around a full-sized machine, and much cheaper than an 'ultrabook' if I wanted something portable...
    pin and Rob2020 like this.

Hktvmall

Great thanks Jimbo, I'll take a look.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast