Like Tree23Likes

Portuguese Golden Visa Scheme

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Doesn't the withdrawal agreement give residency rights to any UK citizen who moves to the EU before 31.12.2020? Can't you just "move" to an EU country instead of Portugal? Seems cheaper than spending 500k to move to bumfuck Portugal. There is no way to track your residency within Schengen.
    I'm thinking 2030 onwards.
    mrgoodkat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    I'm thinking 2030 onwards.
    Who knows if the Portuguese investment visa will be still around then. You could just rent a cheap place somewhere in the EU and "live" there for the next 5 years then get citizenship in 2026. Im sure there are agents who can set you up.

You could just rent a cheap place somewhere in the EU and "live" there for the next 5 years then get citizenship in 2026.
    Exactly, EU is a joke with schengen, if you play smart you can obtain RP in several countries in the same time.

I'd be wary of deals like this tbh. The minimal residency requirements makes me feel that if they decided to change policy at some stage, before you'd obtained the passport, you'd have no other realistic method of building towards citizenship as you haven't been living there, working there, paying taxes there, don't know the langauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon72:
    I'd be wary of deals like this tbh. The minimal residency requirements makes me feel that if they decided to change policy at some stage, before you'd obtained the passport, you'd have no other realistic method of building towards citizenship as you haven't been living there, working there, paying taxes there, don't know the langauge.
    No need to worry, for example D7 visa was there even 20 years ago, Portuguese language is easy to learn for anyone, even they change the policy you can always switch to another type of visa, obtaining freelance visa & or registering own company for small amount of cash. Many countries in EU have this option.

Like Americans can move to Netherlands without any hassle using DAFT.

There are many hidden costs in less affluent EU countries.
    One way or the other the gov. will get your money

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dw....nts/a-49654017

The simplest way is to move to an EU country before the 31st of December and live there.

We are British and we are moving to Finland as soon as the border is open. My wife is Chinese (HK) and will automatically be given residency on the back of me. You can apply for citizenship after 5 years as long as you can show that you've paid your taxes, behaved and can speak Finish.

In return, our kids will get a great education and free university if they choose to go down that path...

Taxes are insane, but having lived in Scandinavia before, you literally get what you pay for, especially if you have a family... in fact, if we didn't have kids, we may well have gone for somewhere in southern Europe, hard to say...

Thing is, after 31st of December, having a resident permit in the Schengen means you will have freedom of movement (travel, not work), after 5 years plus however long it takes to process the passport application, we will have our precious freedom of movement back... more importantly, so will our sons!

drumbrake, mrgoodkat and Elegiaque like this.

But after 31 December, will you be allowed to continue to live in Finland?

Mr Chips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    But after 31 December, will you be allowed to continue to live in Finland?
    Yup. that's the point of transition period (UK-EU), same as for other EU members "if you establish residence in UK" you will be able to keep your residence.
    Mr Chips likes this.

Makes it sound like you are currently holding an EU passport. Which country and why are you going to lose it if you don't mind me asking?
    Take a wild guess. Only one EU country was stupid enough to vote to leave.
    GentleGeorge likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast