Like Tree23Likes

Portuguese Golden Visa Scheme

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    But after 31 December, will you be allowed to continue to live in Finland?
    Yes. As long as get in before the 31st of December...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    and can speak Finish.

No easy task! Fins speak excellent English and I've heard that in university if there is a non-Finnish speaker, they will simply conduct the class in English. They think they have a secret language, though, so if you're non-white you can scare them once you know some Finnish.

How your HK wife will survive a Finnish winter for five years... good luck with that! (But apparently they just inexpensively heat their flats through a system connected to their industrial areas?)

It's good to know others are in this boat. Since I'm married to an EU citizen, I will try that route, but it isn't easy and looks to be a commitment. Then, like you say @MRChips I will have "freedom" to move around.

Covid19 hasn't helped getting this sorted though with consulates closed, so I am unsure how or when we'll be prepared to leave HK and head to the EU when the time comes. We wanted to have our ducks lined up to be ready to go, but that isn't happening.
    Mr Chips and drumbrake like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Covid19 hasn't helped getting this sorted though with consulates closed, so I am unsure how or when we'll be prepared to leave HK and head to the EU when the time comes. We wanted to have our ducks lined up to be ready to go, but that isn't happening.
    Keep your eye on that December 31 deadline...

My wife misses Scandinavia... she's been through 3 Scandinavian winters including an especially hard one in Sweden where we were stuck at home for a few weeks...

We've started looking at Finish online... it's not too bad... certainly easier than Cantonese, and there are a tonne of free resources... also, it's possible to opt for Swedish on the language test in Finland and I've already tried it and I could probably pass that now... anyway, the goal is worth it!

Where are you going?

The simplest way is to move to an EU country before the 31st of December and live there.

We are British and we are moving to Finland as soon as the border is open. My wife is Chinese (HK) and will automatically be given residency on the back of me. You can apply for citizenship after 5 years as long as you can show that you've paid your taxes, behaved and can speak Finish.

In return, our kids will get a great education and free university if they choose to go down that path...

Taxes are insane, but having lived in Scandinavia before, you literally get what you pay for, especially if you have a family... in fact, if we didn't have kids, we may well have gone for somewhere in southern Europe, hard to say...

Thing is, after 31st of December, having a resident permit in the Schengen means you will have freedom of movement (travel, not work), after 5 years plus however long it takes to process the passport application, we will have our precious freedom of movement back... more importantly, so will our sons!
    Will there be a Finnish version of Geoexpat for you to post on?

Keep your eye on that December 31 deadline...

My wife misses Scandinavia... she's been through 3 Scandinavian winters including an especially hard one in Sweden where we were stuck at home for a few weeks...

We've started looking at Finish online... it's not too bad... certainly easier than Cantonese, and there are a tonne of free resources... also, it's possible to opt for Swedish on the language test in Finland and I've already tried it and I could probably pass that now... anyway, the goal is worth it!

Where are you going?
    I don't need to worry about that deadline. It would be France for us, but this is all still a long way off unfortunately. I am not looking forward to learning French. We still have a lot of unanswered questions about the process, but we have to first get our marriage registered and can't now due to the closed consulates and time sensitive documentation needed.

I'm a bit fatigued with living in a country where I don't speak the local language and having to start from scratch. But for the freedom it entails it is worth it.

Swedish will be easier than Finnish, as its a Germanic language.
    Mr Chips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I don't need to worry about that deadline. It would be France for us, but this is all still a long way off unfortunately. I am not looking forward to learning French. We still have a lot of unanswered questions about the process, but we have to first get our marriage registered and can't now due to the closed consulates and time sensitive documentation needed.

I'm a bit fatigued with living in a country where I don't speak the local language and having to start from scratch. But for the freedom it entails it is worth it.

Swedish will be easier than Finnish, as its a Germanic language.
    French isn't so bad, it shares roughly 60% of its word roots with English, a lot of English words have French origins and there are a ton of cognates. C'est pas grave

https://research.steinhardt.nyu.edu/...ed5-5-2014.pdf

https://frenchtogether.com/french-wo...th%20languages.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3