Like Tree4Likes

Marriage in Hong Kong

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red face Marriage in Hong Kong

Hello People,

Me and my girlfriend are working in HK and hold a work visa. I have offer letter from one of the company in SG and waiting for relaxation on border control to apply for E-Pass. My future employer will be applying for E-Pass.

We were planning to get married in India this year, but I think that will not be possible. I want to take my girlfriend with me to Singapore, can we get married in HK and apply for dependent visa along with my E-Pass application ?

If yes, what will be the process ? and do we have to inform Indian embassy of the same ?

Thank you for the help in advance.

Yes you can get married in HK. You don't need a lawyer or any help for that, just give a Notice, and then attend marriage ceremony with your girlfriend and 2 witnesses. https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/faq/marr...istration.html
    It's not a bad idea to pay for the 2nd copy of Marriage Certificate initially.
    Recognition of marriage is another question. Easiest way is if both countries signed Apostille convention. Hong Kong and India did.
    So to recognize marriage in India, you just need to stamp Apostille while still in HK: https://www.judiciary.hk/en/court_se...apostille.html
    To recognize marriage in other target country that didn't sign the convention(i.e. Singapore), you normally need to do full a Consular legalization, that usually involves few steps:
    1) get Notarized Copy of the Marriage Certificate, if you don't have it already
    2) go to target consulate (Singapore) and stamp it there.
    Steps 3-4 can be done in target country, it's usually cheaper and hassle-free. But they can be done in Consulate, instead of the MFA, but that will confuse people in step 5.
    3) Make translation to target country language, if necessary
    4) Verify the translation+certified copy in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
    5) Bring that copy to target country local marriage registry.
    However, since you'll be applying just for the visa, the process might be much easier, so you'd better check with SG Consulate in HK for their requirements.

Just be aware, if you get married in Hong Kong you have to have loads of wedding photos in some of the oddest places!

angeluscomplex likes this.

Thank you for the detailed reply back @GotIt and @Pauljoecoe

Just be aware, if you get married in Hong Kong you have to have loads of wedding photos in some of the oddest places!
    What places do you recommend ?

Quote Originally Posted by rohit77:
    Well, here's one. I was on a hike...all hot and sweaty and there they were. Miles from a road, all dressed up in wedding attire. Impressive. - Shing Mun Reservoir
    Seen others all over the place. Park at the very top of the peak is popular. Anywhere in the city - LKF, Wan Chai. In the middle of a road somewhere.!! Ngong Ping in front of a cow, on a beach. We get a lot on Ma Wan as there is a wedding venue there. The abandoned fishing village is very popular for photo shoots. All over the place really.
    Last edited by Pauljoecoe; 02-07-2020 at 05:49 PM.

er2

Small oddity about Singapore - if your employer sponsors your EP, then you can't apply for a dependent visa at all. Your employer has to. Weird, but that's the way it works. So speak to them about it.

If you are working in IB and make lots of money, one way to streamline this is to apply for a personalised EP. You need 144k SGD/y once your in SG or ~1.2mn HKD/y if you apply from HK directly. This gives you a lot more freedom in terms of employment and especially unemployment once you're in SG

Thank you @Pauljoecoe, that will help me.
    Thank you @er2, I think I will consider that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    I'm pretty sure this isnt compulsory

Quote Originally Posted by rohit77:
    Paul is what we call, taking the Piss out of what locals do. like Trebor says, taking pictures in strange / odd places is NOT a MUST.

Marriage at the local registrar in HK is like fast food. The official comes in, you both stand up, you both read one by one a fixed format statement, you both sign and your witnesses sign as well then the official signs and badda bing badda boom, you're MARRIED. the official leaves and you are allowed to stay and take pictures for a little while until they kick you out of the room for the next couple to come in.
    rohit77 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    I'm pretty sure this isnt compulsory
    having the photo printed life size and be on display is.
    rohit77 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast