Like Tree121Likes

Children not allowed to play

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Are you kids playing directly below someone's flat? It can be quite annoying and surprisingly noisy. I wouldn't like it and at my home don't like extra toddlers walking and screaming by...I'm quite the grouch, but not everyone loves the sound of screeching children when they're in their own child-free home.
    That is possible, but it's only for twenty minutes for a few times a week. What kind of person complains about kids playing outdoors for such a short time when they are stuck at home all year? They could simply have a word with us about noise levels instead of making anonymous complaints. To be honest, my Mandarin speaking mother in law is the more likely source of noise and I think this could be the underlying issue. The property manager says it is because of safety, which I cannot accept. It is ridiculous and suggests we are lousy parents putting our kids at risk. It's also discriminatory if they allow other types of recreation in the same space.
    Last edited by hksomewhere; 12-08-2020 at 06:40 AM.
    Jackie1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hksomewhere:
    Yes, I am an owner. What is SOL?

If there really is such a regulation then that's fine if they can show it to me. But playing is playing. Adults doing exercise in the space is also playing (or alternatively my kids are exercising). Adults with their dogs = playing. Hanging around smoking also puts people close to traffic. They can't just pick on my kids and cite safety concerns when there are none.
    What does your copy of the deed of mutual covenant (DMC) say regarding this carpark area?

Do you have an owners' corporation registered for your estate?

“Where will the children play?”, asked Cat Stevens.

“They won’t”, said .....

shri likes this.

If you are the owner, why not raise it in the next homeowners association meeting? I assume you have one?

emx likes this.

We have the same rules in our estate. The children are allowed to play, just not with scooters, balls etc. I don't think it's a noise issue. We just make do with other activities such as tag, skipping, hide and seek, exercises, hoola hoop, treasure hunt, bubbles etc.

Eva C likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiojiri Hiro:
    If you are the owner, why not raise it in the next homeowners association meeting? I assume you have one?
    I will do that, but I don't think there will be a meeting for some time. In the meantime I'm demanding to see the relevant regulations and insisting that any type of recreation or loitering by anyone is banned with equal zeal.

Same in our building... allowed to play sure, but no bikes, scooters or ball games.

I can see some logic in it, as i've seen one kid in a bike (even though he wasn't supposed to be riding it) crash into a toddler down our building.

good time to teach the kid to drive

gigglinggal likes this.

Just because kids "need to play" doesn't mean you should be disrespectful of other people's peace and quiet and space; or that others have an obligation to be disturbed for the sake of your family. Granted, it seems maybe the Chinese mother-in-law is causing more of a disturbance. Who knows -- it could be during the time that an elderly resident normally naps.

Given we live in such tight spaces, I think people should try to be respectful towards others.

Isn't it also a liability issue for the management? If an accident happens because they allowed scooters or balls (breaking someone's car window for example) wouldn't they be liable? Easier for them to err on the side of caution.

Can you not find another place you can walk to and spend longer? Places like Pinewood Battery or Victoria Garden...

MABinPengChau, aw451 and Cornmeal like this.

As I hate confrontation, I would just find another place- even if it meant hopping the bus or taxi to a local park and tossing the scooters in the trunk. There is also the issue of kids on bikes crashing into cars and denting or scratching them (I know my daughter was not exactly the most skilled cyclist). In a small estate, worth it to move on to avoid feuds with neighbors...I lived in a high rise flat until my daughter was 3, I took her to parks and the indoor mall (in the cold winter)...very few of my neighbors had small children.

Elegiaque likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast