Like Tree135Likes

How much racism in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12

All the most experienced and accurate answers were already given pretty early in this thread, but to summarise.

Chinese culture is generally pretty racist and whilst HK is more sophisticated in it's attitude to other races than the mainland is, HK still has significant levels of racism. On the whole China (and HK) practices significantly more racism than anywhere in Western Europe or North America. Chinese racism is widespread and accepted (even encouraged) but importantly is 'low level' rather than in pockets and intense.

Generally the 'westerners' who move to HK are significantly better educated and significantly more progressive than the average local HK'er, but at the same time those expats also tend to be significantly better educated and significantly more progressive than the average local in their native country. That's the simple fact of being an expat, they tend (on average) to better educated and more open minded than both their native and their adopted (and the global) averages.

And thus, when compared with their expat peers, many local HK'ers (on average) fall well short of the standards that most expats set themselves.

However, racism in HK whilst widespread is seldom openly vitriolic. The worst your average foreigner usually has to bare is something along the lines of "you're not HK people, go back to your own country". Which I personally find to be somewhat laughable. When it's used in the west, it can come wrapped with the threat of violence, in HK it's more like a sad plea that only accentuates the users powerlessness.

Undoubtedly, brown skinned Asian's suffer the most racism in HK with more frequent rude comments, gestures and behaviour directed at them. And we all know that DH's being confined in Chinese homes are the most vulnerable to this low level but pretty regular contempt.

For DH's Chinese families are the biggest risk, but for most expats it's actually the police who represent the biggest risk, by far. Whilst the police are mostly pretty inoffensive and polite, if they are somehow placed in a position where they have to act against someone, the chances are they'll be acting against the non-chinese in the vast majority of cases (unless hard evidence makes that impossible).

The risk of entanglement with the police maybe low, but the consequences can be very high.

If you're unlucky enough to be caught in the wrong situation, you may quickly find out how important race can be if you're not Chinese.

Last edited by Sage; 10-11-2020 at 03:30 PM.
    hhku likes this.

I have some interesting experience recently.

If there is an email from a gweiloo name (eg, Patrick Fitzgerald), actions will be taken.

If there is an email from a local name (eg, Peter Cheung), it will be ignored.

jonastainine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046:

If there is an email from a gweiloo name (eg, Patrick Fitzgerald), actions will be taken.

Very cryptic and meaningless without context. Can you elaborate.

I actually thought about that and yes, I do feel some degree of anxiety about certain things e.g. the overall health and well-being of my family. In this situation, the one I described, I would say no for the following reason: my previous occupation before entering teaching required me to be a good judge of character, which in turn led to sound investments that bring me a nice chunk of change yearly. To be able to get a good and reliable idea of people and situations allowed me to do this. Through this I learnt to trust and have faith in my instincts.

Though thank you for your reply. It's something I will bear in mind : )

Sage and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046:

wait what? people reply to emails in HK?!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Very cryptic and meaningless without context. Can you elaborate.
    I sent a complaint about something (at a university) in early October under the name "Patrick Fitzgerald" (not real)... there was immediate reply and follow up actions (plural).

I sent a similar complaint a few weeks later under the name "Peter Cheung" (not real); no reply. Nothing. ZERO.

On that note... Time to move on till the next time this topic comes ip and everyone needs to vent a bit...

nivek2046 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12