Like Tree135Likes

How much racism in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Top work Jaz Paul, enjoy your new life in the city of churches ( Adelaide ) which also happens to have the largest population of Brits, in Australia...Enjoy ;-) he he
    Off to Adelaide? My inlaws live there. Boring as. If you dislike the size of your electricity bill you can blame me. I privatised the system a few decades back!
    GentleGeorge likes this.

Brown "Asian looking" people can get discriminated against. For example, I live in a marina. I have invited many friends over while I have lived here, and if they were white, they just walk past the guards at the marina gate with a smile and perhaps "i'm going to Axx". But my "brown" american friend (of very mixed heritage! But VERY american) was stopped and grilled. But because she is American, she just hit the roof and they backed off and let her through.... (this was before covid and form filling to enter anywhere!).

So yes. HK is racist. But usually if you stand tall, (particularly, dress well) and push back at it, it seems to just fizzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22guy:
    The racism is manageable for adults. I am not sure about kids as I do not what happens in schools.
    ESF has been in the news a number of times in June/July for racism allegations, but appears to be mostly racism against non-white students and staff.

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/famil...-international

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/famil...gations-racism

I'm Brown so this might help ... From my experience, HKers aren't racist (Maybe the old generation are but I have limited interaction with them) but they definitely will discriminate based on your social status so dress well and you shall be fine.

The only time I've seen people walk away from me on MTRs are usually the older generation. Normally, I wish people would walk away from me as I hate how crowded MTR gets during peak hours.

Plus I am into cologne so I believe I generally smell inviting

bak875 and Jillypots like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Srashes:
    I'm Brown so this might help ... From my experience, HKers aren't racist (Maybe the old generation are but I have limited interaction with them) but they definitely will discriminate based on your social status so dress well and you shall be fine.

The only time I've seen people walk away from me on MTRs are usually the older generation. Normally, I wish people would walk away from me as I hate how crowded MTR gets during peak hours.

Plus I am into cologne so I believe I generally smell inviting
    To put this into perspective people walking away on the MTR happens to us white guys as well. In fact it happened to me again only today and yes very definitely only the older generation

Quote Originally Posted by Srashes:
    Agree to the above.

I worked for a multicultural company in HK full of Europeans and Latinos. Top boss was a charismatic Indian man - very interesting!
    Srashes and sunyhk like this.

If you look rich shop keepers will charge you more. If you look poor they will ignore you.

Last edited by Srashes; 16-08-2020 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Irelevant opinion lol

Quote Originally Posted by wawahi1212:
    Re being a snowflake, fair comment, but I'm more worried about effect on wife and especially 2 year old son. As adults we can take a fair bit, children are adaptable too, just unsure on the level. I suppose we can always leave if things don't work as you say.
    Your kid will be fine. If they were in their teens it would be another story, cops seem to think all 'ethnic minority' (official govt. term for anyone with darker skin tones) youngsters are drug dealers, shoplifters etc... Know someone who's 15-16 year old got pretty upset after he was targeted for a police stop and search (not during a protest or anything) simply because of his skin tone.

In general the only people who you'll have problems with are the small minority of older ethnic-Chinese locals who are really backwards (and not only with regards to skin color).

A map of the least racist countries in the world... if you want to avoid racism, head for white, English speaking countries.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/

Paxbritannia likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast