Like Tree135Likes

How much racism in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

IMO there is less racism today than pre-handover. Since the influence of China has increased and the British have departed you have less of a white entitlement syndrome in the professional ranks.

At a lower level, you have negative perceptions of SE Asians continuing to be perpetuated by local Chinese. Some negative perceptions of Caucasians among local Chinese are they are rowdy and lewd.

IMO, at the end of the day, in today's HK, most discrimination is based on economic class rather than race. Wealth is revered in HK.

I'm white, English, old. Why is it that the last empty seat on a crowded bus is always the one next to me.

sunyhk, hullexile, shri and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Guy:
    I'm white, English, old. Why is it that the last empty seat on a crowded bus is always the one next to me.
    From what I understand it can range from a number of things. Perceived (emphasized) hygenics, lewdness, shy of being forced to use English are among them. The last one is probably the primary reason in most cases. I would not let it bother you.

it largely comes down to whether you are a brown person carrying the right labels, where you live, work etc.
    Much less in your face racism, and you won't see nazi's walking around like in the west, but it definitely exists.

Here's a recent piece on this in the HKFP
    https://hongkongfp.com/2020/08/15/i-...olice-custody/

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    lewdness .
    You are very strange.
    angeluscomplex likes this.

Do you confront them or call it out?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    You are very strange.
    He has a real obsession with expats and sex. Would love to know the psychological reasons behind this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    He has a real obsession with expats and sex. Would love to know the psychological reasons behind this.
    Frustrated ABC is my guess.
    angeluscomplex likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Off to Adelaide? My inlaws live there. Boring as. If you dislike the size of your electricity bill you can blame me. I privatised the system a few decades back!
    I think a lot depends on if you have children, yearning a more normalised environment to raise children in etc whether one thinks it's ' boring or not. If one is seeking fresh air, well maintained park space, fresh food, established tree lined neighbourhoods, has an interest in wine, conventional spacious white picket fenced homes with a lawned backyard and garage/workshop to tinker and develop weekend interests, then I don't see how that would be boring. My cool published writer aunty ( my mums older sister ) lives in Croydon in inner city Adelaide, who has an eclectic bunch of life long media creative type friends and has had a very nice restored heritage inner city home and life there over the last 40 years. So I beg to differ if it's boring. pfft!

Also your comment about electricity cost can easily be circumvented with a decent battery backed up PV system like we have here in Brisbane and our properties in Melbourne's inner city and on the Surf Coast of Victoria. No biggie for the average middle class family these days.
    Jaz Paul likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Frustrated ABC is my guess.
    That's a bit unfair to all ABCs in this town.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast