Like Tree135Likes

How much racism in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by eightfivetwo:
    I know what you're referring to. But I guess this was much more prevalent in the 80s and 90s as it is today. The term probably applies more to certain South East Asian countries than Hong Kong.
    It really is just a socio-economic issue. Richer men marry women from poorer socially liberal countries.

In terms of taking brides from poorer Asia Countries there is a clear winner in terms of scale.

there are 100,000 Vietnamese women in China who are married to Chinese men.
    Last edited by East_coast; 17-08-2020 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    Your persistence is amusing but pays off. In all seriousness, it's a stereotype among some locals and across Asia. No obsesson other than it may bother people and having fun perpetuating it.
    It doesn't bother people, it just comes across as weird and a bit creepy.
    angeluscomplex likes this.

Hygienics? Yes, not racism. I and friends avoided sitting next to a white girl without a mask on a tram a few months ago. She was too visible when all other passengers had masks. Being foreign is too commonly seen in HK, so the attention and avoidance she got were not from racism.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    From what I understand it can range from a number of things. Perceived (emphasized) hygenics, lewdness, shy of being forced to use English are among them. The last one is probably the primary reason in most cases. I would not let it bother you.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Guy:
    I'm white, English, old. Why is it that the last empty seat on a crowded bus is always the one next to me.
    I will have to take more notice when I fly over to the HKG to visit me mates and family next, because previously never had an issue with folks unwilling to sit next to me on public transport the whole time I lived there. I wonder why they choose to sit with some and not others ?

Much of the racism is inverted, I'm racially Chinese, and have been told that NET. vacancies are favourable to those applicants who are white.

Paxbritannia and UK/HKboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I will have to take more notice when I fly over to the HKG to visit me mates and family next, because previously never had an issue with folks unwilling to sit next to me on public transport the whole time I lived there. I wonder why they choose to sit with some and not others ?
    Guaranteed the seat next to me on the minibus, double decker, or MTR will always be the last filled. Pre and post pandemic, and yes I'm wearing a mask, and I'm a well groomed and decent looking fella

Perhaps it's because I'm tall and wide shouldered so the seat looks much smaller next to me? Doesn't bother me either way, it's often a sweet deal at non peak times as I get more space
    Last edited by Cornmeal; 20-08-2020 at 04:46 PM.
    Jillypots likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    Guaranteed the seat next to me on the minibus, double decker, or MTR will always be the last filled. Pre and post pandemic, and yes I'm wearing a mask, and I'm a well groomed and decent looking fella

Perhaps it's because I'm tall and wide shouldered so the seat looks much smaller next to me? Doesn't bother me either way, it's often a sweet deal at non peak times as I get more space
    That may be the reason. I wouldn't choose to sit next to a big person if they were spilling out over the seat next to them. Put your knees together, hunch your shoulders inside and try to make yourself as small as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    That may be the reason. I wouldn't choose to sit next to a big person if they were spilling out over the seat next to them. Put your knees together, hunch your shoulders inside and try to make yourself as small as possible.
    I literally can't put my knees together without them being forced into the, sometimes hard, back of the seat in front of me. There is no "spilling out" the minibuses/buses aren't built for people taller than 175cm. I usually nab the outside seat, if no single ones are open, so my legs take up less of the seating space.

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    Much of the racism is inverted, I'm racially Chinese, and have been told that NET. vacancies are favourable to those applicants who are white.
    Not if you are Filipino, no inverted racism there just the common superiority complex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRchCqS1v9w

Guy seems like he had a terrible time.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast