Like Tree135Likes

How much racism in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRchCqS1v9w

Guy seems like he had a terrible time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    Perhaps it's because I'm tall and wide shouldered so the seat looks much smaller next to me? Doesn't bother me either way, it's often a sweet deal at non peak times as I get more space
    Pretty sure that's the reason. I am also "blessed" with wide shoulders. You are more than welcome to sit next to me but it's probably more comfortable for you (and me) that you don't.
    Cornmeal and mysti like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22guy:

In MTR, I keep seeing some middle-aged, older folks (locals) run away from me as if they encountered a ghost. Some also cover their noses as if I came to steal something from their nostrils. Some are so respectful of my presence that they just get up from their seat and keep standing up when I sit next to them. They also tend leave an extra seat for me even if the train is crowded.

I have had no such experiences from younger folks. They are very welcoming and jovial. In my university campus, I never encountered such people.

In the early days, I genuinely thought I scared off those middle-aged, older Hong Kongers (majority of them were women) in the MTR. Lol.
    I felt this sometimes and I am a middle aged white man.

Bartholomeuw likes this.

Hong Kong how ever people characterise this place as East meets West is still a racially homogeneous society basically just China on an alternate path.

Years ago in a former HK company when HR couldn’t find an exec assistant candidate with good English skills I proposed why not look for a South Asian? She looked at me like I just swallowed a live cockroach.

Last edited by jonastainine; 22-08-2020 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I think when you have a society that is so self centered they will not hold the door for the person right behind them its highly unlikely there will ever be any real advancement for ethnic minorities. Same with mocking and making fun of low wage earners in the city when it is they who get up each day and do the work many scoff at. The empathy is just not there IMO.
    Sage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    I think when you have a society that is so self centered they will not hold the door for the person right behind them its highly unlikely there will ever be any real advancement for ethnic minorities. Same with mocking and making fun of low wage earners in the city when it is they who get up each day and do the work many scoff at. The empathy is just not there IMO.
    Its a value system that is quite at odds of having good, fair nature i think. This is something that needs to be changed in society (based on what is valued, what is rewarded, etc.) but I don't think there is a good way to change this (except communism?)

I’m a black American, in HK I haven’t really experienced racism, just ignorance here and there but most people seem to busy to care. They seem racist towards mainland people in my opinion. The worse thing that happens to me is people attempt to try in avoid assisting me at some shops (May be because of their lack of English rather than my race). I’ve only experienced true racism in Shenzhen.

chingleutsch and jonastainine like this.

First of all, I am sorry to those who has experience racism in HK.

I do believe racism existing in HK or Mainland but they normally don't say anything.

I hope this doesn't scare away foreigners.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast