Like Tree63Likes

How much racism in HK?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

How much racism in HK?

Hello. I'm looking to move to HK with my family from London.

I've had a few people warn me about racism in HK (mostly a friend who is Caucasian witnessing others get bad treatment). Realise this is going to be a weird question - based on my photo(so no details around family origins), where woild a local place me and what level of racism am I likely to encounter?

Understand this is a sensitive subject, so if you don't want to say in public perhaps you can consider sending me a pm.

It's important to me to get honest views on this, as have still not resigned my UK job and would like to know what I'm walking into. Unfortunately due to covid, can't go there as a tourist to check first.

The job offer from HK is very, very good, so I'd loathe to turn it down unless this is going to affect us in a bad way.

The photo for reference is below.

I can’t see any photo so can’t judge. Local just tend to be not very subtle with this so if you encounter something it can be quite in your face. But then again they do the same for your weight, looks, hair and other things that a typical Londoner wouldn’t comment about.

If the job is good I would als ways take it. Hong Kong is manageable, I’d say

gigglinggal and Coolboy like this.

(Removed the photo - for obvious reasons that the racism here is lot more than "looking" brown or black).

Honestly though having lived in a fair few parts of the world - since the mid-80s, I'd say HK is really not that bad.

You may / will encounter some crap - mostly from lower end landlords / cops / online trolls. But most of the time - things are way better when compared to a decade or two ago. Stay away from some old white guys who are relics of a bygone era and you'll be fine.

Interestingly enough a younger relative is moving to the UK and we are probably more concerned about racism there than here. It is natural when moving to a new location.

Bartholomeuw and Mmisra like this.

As cookie09 said, the racism in HK can be blunt and in-your-face. That can be jarring coming from a place, where even if racism still exist there, is often cloaked in other languages.

Such blunt racism is inexcusable of course. But at least in HK, there is little of the racial violence that you find in other places. People may not necessarily like each other very much in HK, but most work out a way to coexist with one another. That is a matter of necessity in a city of 7+ million people.

gigglinggal likes this.

Stop being a snowflake. Biggest hurdle to encounter anywhere is a job , and you've got that covered comfortably by the sound of your post. Domestic helper will take a lot of burden off your family's back too for about 450 British quid a month and boarding. I'm a brown bastard too but married to a local if that helps.

Hang around good /like minded people to vent and you'll get over anything discriminatory you receive. It's life stay strong!

Stay here for a few years, make your money and leave if you still don't get accustomed to it.

Best of luck

Ironically, I'm leaving hk today with my family for good for greener pastures. (hopefully).

I'm a brown bastard too but married to a local if that helps. Thus said Jaz Paul in his farewell message.

I'm a white bastard but married to a local if that helps. It certainly helps! Been married to the same HK Chinese lady for 42 years and counting.... And it was the best move I ever made! {and I get translations for free!!)

Best wishes to Jaz Paul for wherever you and your family end up!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz Paul:
    Stop being a snowflake. Biggest hurdle to encounter anywhere is a job , and you've got that covered comfortably by the sound of your post. Domestic helper will take a lot of burden off your family's back too for about 450 British quid a month and boarding. I'm a brown bastard too but married to a local if that helps.

Hang around good /like minded people to vent and you'll get over anything discriminatory you receive. It's life stay strong!

Stay here for a few years, make your money and leave if you still don't get accustomed to it.

Best of luck

Ironically, I'm leaving hk today with my family for good for greener pastures. (hopefully).
    Top work Jaz Paul, enjoy your new life in the city of churches ( Adelaide ) which also happens to have the largest population of Brits, in Australia...Enjoy ;-) he he
    Jaz Paul likes this.

Look, nobody is getting punched in the face or beat up due to their race. The same cannot be said of other major cities like New York, London, Sydney, Toronto, etc...

And I have to say things have calmed down a lot (by HK standards) since the 80s or 90s. This goes both ways - this means the "white advantage" that many enjoyed from a previous era pretty much no longer exists. This was probably accelerated from the local/expat divide on masks recently.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    a younger relative is moving to the UK and we are probably more concerned about racism there than here
    Missed saying it last night due to the maintenance...

Happy Independence Day!
    shri and sunyhk like this.

I am a young brown guy, who is pretty new in HK compared to many users here.

I have been living here for three years.
    I have had many experiences. They are not subtle. But none of them violent or abusive like those happen in the UK or the US.

In MTR, I keep seeing some middle-aged, older folks (locals) run away from me as if they encountered a ghost. Some also cover their noses as if I came to steal something from their nostrils. Some are so respectful of my presence that they just get up from their seat and keep standing up when I sit next to them. They also tend leave an extra seat for me even if the train is crowded.

I have had no such experiences from younger folks. They are very welcoming and jovial. In my university campus, I never encountered such people.

In the early days, I genuinely thought I scared off those middle-aged, older Hong Kongers (majority of them were women) in the MTR. Lol.

chuckster007 and bak875 like this.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast