Like Tree160Likes

Travelling to the UK during this pandemic.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    If the arguments are indeed compelling then by all means, screen shot a few pages and post them as images. I'm very, very comfortable finding my way around research papers.

But I do agree, the Sp.Flu vs Covid aspect was at the very best, only ever a minor distraction from the central point about falling mortality rates from Covid and UK risk, so even if we were to agree on the Sp.Flu comparison, it would largely be worthless.

What would be the point of posting the screenshots when you're hell bent to refuse/disagree/contradict? Of course, those are your human rights; so, i won't confiscate your rights by further going into elaborate answers.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01:
    What would be the point of posting the screenshots when you're hell bent to refuse/disagree/contradict? Of course, those are your human rights; so, i won't confiscate your rights by further going into elaborate answers.
    I guessed as much, that all sounds very convenient doesn't it? You don't 'want' to post your compelling evidence after all....

May I remind you that I'm the one taking on board new data and advocating a fresh look at covid risk based on that evidence. Whist you're in the 'nothing to see here' camp. You've formulated your view and don't want it challenged.
    Cheeky Kiwi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    I guessed as much, that all sounds very convenient doesn't it? You don't 'want' to post your compelling evidence after all....

May I remind you that I'm the one taking on board new data and advocating a fresh look at covid risk based on that evidence. Whist you're in the 'nothing to see here' camp. You've formulated your view and don't want it challenged.

Take a look at this article from the New England Journal of Medicine. I'm just trying to point out that Covid isn't "less lethal" than your Spanish Flu which you've stated in your statement many posts ago. Many articles on Covid are available free except some of the latest ongoing researches that are open only to the members. Also, the British Medical Journal is there for your reference but I'm not the biggest fan of it as I'm of the NEJM. So, personally, I'd suggest you the one I've cited here..

With that I declare you the winner and bow out from this directionless debate. If you were my professor at the medical school trust me, I'd make sure the entire Geoexpat was filled up with articles to refute your argument; (un)fortunately, here we owe nothing to each other here, save this endless verbal war.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmp2003762

(P s - I don't know why the link shows errors but you can just click over it and you will be directed to the website).
    Last edited by hannah01; 01-10-2020 at 11:55 AM.

There are definitely people on Geoexpat that I'd recommend not to go to the UK at this stage.
    @TheBrit tops the list.

https://www.dw.com/en/neanderthal-ge...udy/a-55112474

Who could've predicted this? Deaths were so low.

So I thought I would actually answer the question posed by this thread, which was "would you travel to the UK at the moment", with the answer - "I just did". Left on Friday, back yesterday. Booked as soon I heard the reports that HK was making UK a high risk country. So that I could see my family and my new Great Nephew at least once this year.

Yes, the UK is going downhill but anyone who thought that would not happen with schools, universities opening and winter coming (it was darn cold last week) are living in a different world. It will come, it will go, and life will return. Hopefully we turn a corner by around March.

I believe the things I write. And so acted on them.

drumbrake, jonastainine and Sage like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Please don't try to paint yourself as some kind of scienticific isavant, you've been manifestly wrong right from the bottom of very beginning of this pandemic. You have zero credibility.

Nobody who read your utter rubbish has forgotten it, and your appeal to authority defense of your Natural Sciences degree is as trite as it is predictable.
    Wrong as in hypotheses developed before we had any data turned out to be inaccurate? Because I did highlight they were all hypotheses at the time and have updated my knowledge as the pandemic has played out. Which is more than most of you who all maintain exactly the same stance as you did in January despite all the new information about treatments, T-cell immunity etc etc.

My son made it to Oxford a few days ago and sent me photos of the campus. He said no one wore masks. I begged him not to succumb to social pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01:
    Take a look at this article from the New England Journal of Medicine. I'm just trying to point out that Covid isn't "less lethal" than your Spanish Flu which you've stated in your statement many posts ago. Many articles on Covid are available free except some of the latest ongoing researches that are open only to the members. Also, the British Medical Journal is there for your reference but I'm not the biggest fan of it as I'm of the NEJM. So, personally, I'd suggest you the one I've cited here..

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmp2003762

(P s - I don't know why the link shows errors but you can just click over it and you will be directed to the website).

With that I declare you the winner and bow out from this directionless debate. If you were my professor at the medical school trust me, I'd make sure the entire Geoexpat was filled up with articles to refute your argument; (un)fortunately, here we owe nothing to each other here, save this endless verbal war.
    Good that you posted some meaningful content - though is it what you meant to post? An article by Bill Gates about the need for a response to the pandemic?

All it says about the relative lethality of covid is a death rate of 1% (this was written in Feb and we now know it to be less than 1%).....And that at 1% it falls between the 1967 outbreak (0.6%) and Spanish Flu at 2%.

Name:  Comparison.png
Views: 57
Size:  37.3 KB

What's more, Bill's expression of 2% (out of a global population of 1.9bn in 1917) implies:
    • That 100% of the global population caught Spanish Flu
    • Total deaths of 38m (obviously a lot less than the commonly quoted figures of 50-100m that most people are thinking when they reference Spanish Flu)

So if that really is it, then yes, bowing out seems like the right thing to do.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast