Like Tree160Likes

Travelling to the UK during this pandemic.

Reply
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
  1. #181

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,762
    Of course, there will be more stories like this too, it's inevitable. However there are 1257 hospitals in the UK, so my position has always been that every time one (the media) focusses on a small part of the system, they should put that in the broader context (at least for a theme like covid where network contagion is the real problem).

    Everyone should remember that negative headlines that play to primal emotions like fear always provoke a much stronger reaction than cold data.

    For the record, total covid deaths in all of Wales yesterday (01st Oct) was 6 people. Average deaths for Wales (all cause) is 106 per day.
    Last edited by Sage; 02-10-2020 at 11:02 AM.

  2. #182

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    957

    The trouble with guys who still go on and on about low percentages (and continue patently to not understand how viruses spread but are instead trapped inside the land of average) is that in practice it is used an excuse for their Trumpist behaviour of not wearing a mask at the slightest opportunity. They consider themselves entitled to breathe over everybody else. The only question for the rest of us is whether the less bright less educated refusenik crowd parroting practical nonsense can be side-stepped in the UK or not. One London friend thought probably best to stay away at least during the coming winter months when people spend less time outside , so we are talking at least not until April 2021.


  3. #183

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    23,342
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Wrong as in hypotheses developed before we had any data turned out to be inaccurate? Because I did highlight they were all hypotheses at the time and have updated my knowledge as the pandemic has played out. Which is more than most of you who all maintain exactly the same stance as you did in January despite all the new information about treatments, T-cell immunity etc etc.
    Some of us have been right all along and hence have not needed to do a 180 degree turn to "update" our beliefs that we shouldn't wear masks, this is just the flu... Others proposed deliberately infecting all our children etc.

  4. #184

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,367
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Some of us have been right all along and hence have not needed to do a 180 degree turn to "update" our beliefs that we shouldn't wear masks, this is just the flu... Others proposed deliberately infecting all our children etc.
    .... No need for flight restrictions, parents who don't send their kids to school should have them taken off them, the people dying are all old who would have died in the next few months anyway......

  5. #185

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,762
    Quote Originally Posted by walkup:
    The trouble with guys who still go on and on about low percentages (and continue patently to not understand how viruses spread but are instead trapped inside the land of average) is that in practice it is used an excuse for their Trumpist behaviour of not wearing a mask at the slightest opportunity. They consider themselves entitled to breathe over everybody else. The only question for the rest of us is whether the less bright less educated refusenik crowd parroting practical nonsense can be side-stepped in the UK or not. One London friend thought probably best to stay away at least during the coming winter months when people spend less time outside , so we are talking at least not until April 2021.
    The trouble with people who focus on only small parts of the picture is how easily they mess up even the basic facts.

    The virus spreads: Virus = high percentage by population
    Deaths don't spread: Deaths = low percentage by population

    If you're attempting to make a case for your superior intellect, you failed...badly.

  6. #186

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    The trouble with people who focus on only small parts of the picture is how easily they mess up even the basic facts.

    The virus spreads: Virus = high percentage by population
    Deaths don't spread: Deaths = low percentage by population

    If you're attempting to make a case for your superior intellect, you failed...badly.
    The only person who seems obsessed by attempting to prove their superior intellect is the poster with the name "sage".
    civil_servant and Aramis like this.

  7. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    The only person who seems obsessed by attempting to prove their superior intellect is the poster with the name "sage".
    Fuck those exhausted medical practitioners all over the world pleading with us take restrictions seriously because my spreadsheet says so.

    Hundreds of thousands of surgeries delayed because of, who cares, they're not dying at the same rate of covid as all other causes of deaths combined.

  8. #188

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,762
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    The only person who seems obsessed by attempting to prove their superior intellect is the poster with the name "sage".
    Well done on the primary school level retort. Arguing your case with data and well founded opinion is no longer in vogue?

  9. #189

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    23,342
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    The only person who seems obsessed by attempting to prove their superior intellect is the poster with the name "sage".
    Became clear very early he was well worth the ignore list. Seems the decision has only been vindicated by seeing the crap he posts quoted in others replies.

  10. #190

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Well done on the primary school level retort. Arguing your case with data and well founded opinion is no longer in vogue?
    Arguing your case with selective data and unfounded opinion..... But remember it's just the flu.

Reply
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast