Like Tree160Likes

Travelling to the UK during this pandemic.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    IMO that word 'lockdown' is being used a bit too liberally... there might be lockdowns is a few weeks, but the pubs shutting at 10pm is hardly a lockdown.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-52934822

I’d say not being allowed to meet people outside of your household or leave your local area qualify as serious restrictions.
    TaD_LaLa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-52934822

I’d say not being allowed to meet people outside of your household or leave your local area qualify as serious restrictions.
    serious restrictions
    I saw you shift those goalposts...

I think Joe public has to share the blame. The amount of time people spend on social media and don't know where to wear masks and how to wear them correctly is mind boggling.

Far too many F&B places going through a whole song and dance about scanning a QR code before letting you in.. Only to discover that none of their staff are masked.

Went shopping the other day... Randos buying stuff at John Lewis and then going to the toilet to try it out and returning what does not fit... Because fitting rooms are closed.

A fair few retail outlets in Westfield (? Or something similar) had people walking in and out of shops unmasked and no enforcement by staff or security.

I could go on... And on.. But it does seem like a percentage of people are just not bothered or think they are immune. And it's jot just the gwailo crowd.. Asians, middle easterners etc etc...

kimwy66, AliT, tinlissie and 1 others like this.

I can think of 40000+ reasons not to go to the UK at this time.

Agree the government is at fault. After reopening schools full time with no masks in classrooms, how can you expect Joe Bloggs to wear a mask consistently? If it is safe to sit in an enclosed space for 6 hours without masks in a school then why not in a pub or a shop.

The u-turn on working from home is frankly embarrassing, people were just starting to return to the office two weeks ago. A few large companies like Barclays who’d publicly backed the government’s request to get back to work now have had to completely backtrack and reinstate work from home.

Complete failure in leadership and not surprised at all that average people are either confused or simply ignoring guidance now.

I think it's cos flying Emirates means you have to transit in Dubai so that's an added requirement. However Shri flew Cathay which is a direct flight so no requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    Okay... he says its an Emirates thing... their track and trace procedure...
    shri and Mr Chips like this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    I can think of 40000+ reasons not to go to the UK at this time.
    Well, yeah. My parents are of the same opinion. Months back they were planning to go somewhere on a trip and crashhhhh!!!!! The virus crashed everything and they're stuck. It was like "Okay, we go next month" ; the next month " Alright, nexxxt month". The "next" month (has) never arrived.

Original Post Deleted
    I'd have to agree with this. Two countries I have a fair bit of experience with, and are very similar in terms of culture, are Oz and the UK.

Polar opposites when it comes to the virus... sure, there are differences when it comes to travel restrictions due to geography, but the absolutely huge difference imo is the government response. In Oz it's been very consistent over time and across the country. The one time it screwed up was Victoria, and there was an almost immediate rise in cases there which is only now coming back under control.
    merchantms and TheBrit like this.

I doubt that there are any countries where governments don't come under fire for their response. In Australia, the PM is not exactly aligned with the various states responses to the virus. It's basically always the same theme, risk management of health safety vs economy and convenience.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...09-p55tvh.html

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Thats a good point but I’m still struggling to see where you would have to go to a hotel at your expense rather than self isolate at home
    Gonna happen next week.
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ronavirus-list

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast