Like Tree160Likes

Travelling to the UK during this pandemic.

Reply
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
  1. #31

    I think it's cos flying Emirates means you have to transit in Dubai so that's an added requirement. However Shri flew Cathay which is a direct flight so no requirement.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    Okay... he says its an Emirates thing... their track and trace procedure...
    shri and Mr Chips like this.

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,241
    Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    I can think of 40000+ reasons not to go to the UK at this time.
    Well, yeah. My parents are of the same opinion. Months back they were planning to go somewhere on a trip and crashhhhh!!!!! The virus crashed everything and they're stuck. It was like "Okay, we go next month" ; the next month " Alright, nexxxt month". The "next" month (has) never arrived.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,493
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    The UK Government told them not to! The advice and rules have been ever changing, it is no surprise that people can not keep up with whatever the offical advice is today as it could be completely different to what it was last month.

    Two weeks ago the Government was encouraging people to return to their offices, now they're reversed and saying the exact opposite. Is it any wonder the public is confused and distrustful? In the summer the Government was paying people to go out and eat in restaurants, without any thoughts on mandating masks for staff etc.

    By the way I think the offical advice is STILL not to wear masks when social distancing can be maintained.

    The lack of coherent strategy, message and the ever changing tactics of the Government are to blame far more than people who don't know when to wear a face mask in my view.
    I'd have to agree with this. Two countries I have a fair bit of experience with, and are very similar in terms of culture, are Oz and the UK.

    Polar opposites when it comes to the virus... sure, there are differences when it comes to travel restrictions due to geography, but the absolutely huge difference imo is the government response. In Oz it's been very consistent over time and across the country. The one time it screwed up was Victoria, and there was an almost immediate rise in cases there which is only now coming back under control.
    merchantms and TheBrit like this.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    2,141

    I doubt that there are any countries where governments don't come under fire for their response. In Australia, the PM is not exactly aligned with the various states responses to the virus. It's basically always the same theme, risk management of health safety vs economy and convenience.

    https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...09-p55tvh.html


  5. #35

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Thats a good point but I’m still struggling to see where you would have to go to a hotel at your expense rather than self isolate at home
    Gonna happen next week.
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ronavirus-list

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    I doubt that there are any countries where governments don't come under fire for their response. In Australia, the PM is not exactly aligned with the various states responses to the virus. It's basically always the same theme, risk management of health safety vs economy and convenience.

    https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...09-p55tvh.html
    Not sure what your point is there. Generally, Australian states have done a uniformly good job of things so far, with the notable exception of the incompetent and corruption-prone Victorian state government which stepped wildly out of line with policy in other states (it's worth pointing out that you've quoted a Victorian newspaper article). At the other end, I think that WA might have been a little more on the paranoid side (not sure, I don't follow news there).

    For the past months, most Australian states have had better absolute numbers than the city of HK, and this is with the vast majority of the population not using masks and keeping schools open.

    If anything, this is a good case study of why a top-down, nationally uniform approach is important, and what also what happens when this is not followed by a geographically discrete part of that nation. I think that politically, rather than being criticised, the national government is making up the huge amount of lost political ground for their clusterfuck management of the bushfire problems last year.
    Last edited by jgl; 24-09-2020 at 11:26 AM.
    shri, TheBrit, hullexile and 1 others like this.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,143
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary 2:
    Wow...I’ve heard it’s hard to get tested in the UK. Will people be able to meet this requirement?

    Also there must be lots of students now facing a two week hotel stay on return instead of time at home.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,367
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I'd have to agree with this. Two countries I have a fair bit of experience with, and are very similar in terms of culture, are Oz and the UK.

    Polar opposites when it comes to the virus... sure, there are differences when it comes to travel restrictions due to geography, but the absolutely huge difference imo is the government response. In Oz it's been very consistent over time and across the country. The one time it screwed up was Victoria, and there was an almost immediate rise in cases there which is only now coming back under control.
    I am still trying to get my head around closing bars early at 10pm. So everyone can gather from lunchtime until 10pm fine but after 10pm its a definite no. Does the virus come out after 10pm?

    The other example doing the rounds is that 7 children are not allowed to gather to feed the ducks but 30 adults can to shoot the ducks.
    Mrs. Jones and jdf21st like this.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,493
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I am still trying to get my head around closing bars early at 10pm. So everyone can gather from lunchtime until 10pm fine but after 10pm its a definite no. Does the virus come out after 10pm?

    The other example doing the rounds is that 7 children are not allowed to gather to feed the ducks but 30 adults can to shoot the ducks.
    Yeah, the UK is just weird. It's such a total mess of senseless advice and mixed messages.

    I have good, otherwise very sensible (generally more sensible than me), friends over there who have been doing things like going to Spain on holiday. I take this to mean that the total lack of consistent messaging has done a very good job of utterly confusing the population.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    2,141

    Australia and New Zealand have had lower cases in large part because of their geographical location and their ability and willingness to close borders. Taiwan is another excellent example of that. Their journey like everyone else is difficult and there are plenty of disagreement and criticism between various state governments and the national one. There were and are many that continue to label their strategy as an overreaction.

    At the end of the day, Australasia has tended to err on the side of caution regarding health. It will take years before we can look back and see the full picture of deaths vs economic and social repercussions and I'm sure there will continue to be many different opinions depending on what people value most.

    From my point of view, I generally prefer the more cautious Australasian strategy which to me has a more consistent message and approach. However I'm sure there are many in Europe that are happy to have had greater freedom of movement even though there are costs associated with it and I understand the frustration of essentially being imprisoned in a city.

    The point is that there are no great way to deal with this crisis. It is terrible, for many it will be one of the worst year of their lives and depending on what people value most, best or better will have a different look.

    Sage likes this.

Reply
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast