Like Tree160Likes

Travelling to the UK during this pandemic.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Do you mean 'sensible' or 'cautious'?

I think it's an obvious mistake to assume that going on holiday to Spain must make bad sense and they're only doing so because they have a poor comprehension of risk thanks to Bojo and Cummings.

Everyone has different priorities and risk tolerances.
    Given that this was around the time that surprise quarantine requirements were sprung on people returning from Spain, I would stick to "sensible". I think they managed to miss it, but they certainly didn't factor unexpected travel restrictions into their decision.
    Sage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    No different from HK except regional lockdowns and 4000 cases per day.
    HK is essentially locked down, and is either in a regional lockdown as part of China or in a National lockdown depending on your perspective.

4000 cases in a population of 66 million don't forget.
    Mr Chips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    Well if they were sensible they'd make their own decisions. I choose not to listen to politicians but use common sense. I managed a perfectly safe 6 weeks holiday in Greece, far more distanced than anything I could have done in HK. People who blame the government for confusing them need to start using their brains!
    While I agree that the government can't be blamed for people making stupid decisions or being confused, they also should be aware that there will always be people making poor or selfish decisions hence mandates on seat belts or drinking and driving. In my opinion, far too many people look at mask for example from the selfish point of you of protecting themselves hence the choice. I view it from the point of view of protecting others.

You might have taken a safer self distancing holiday but I guarantee that many were not. The current resurgence may not be entirely because of travel but it surely is a factor.

Many would likely say that having people go to work or school might be worth the increase in risks but it's a lot more questionable when it comes to taking holidays abroad or going to the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Pretty futile attempts to make this a political issue for the UK.

I'm no Tory but have lived through countless Labour governments that have screwed up the UK. The only exception I can think of was the first few New Labour years.
    I'm seeing nothing constructive from Labour during Covid.

Politics did NOT get the UK into the COVID mess they are now in. The flip flopping hasn't helped but the sheer selfishness of people is the MAJOR factor.

In the early days on here I was part of a large anti mask brigade and we saw similar behaviour in public.Reasoned debate has changed us original doubters. In the UK the more rules put in, masks or otherwise, the more polarised the antis are becoming
    I don't think it is party political. I know plenty of Tories who make fun of the current mess of rules and Boris' messaging. Party political would be defending the messaging just because you are a Tory and not because you think it has been good.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Given that this was around the time that surprise quarantine requirements were sprung on people returning from Spain, I would stick to "sensible". I think they managed to miss it, but they certainly didn't factor unexpected travel restrictions into their decision.
    This seems like a better position than your first comment I responded to, and yet still harks back to the presumption that it's 'unwise' to take what is a relatively low level risk?

They went on holiday, had a good time (presumably), didn't catch covid, didn't get 'trapped' and life goes on.

They didn't factor in travel ban's and yet they're more sensible than you? Really?

It sounds to me like the decision to go on holiday was perfectly sensible and you'd make a similar one yourself if it were not for the people shouting 'stay home' blindly at the ether.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Wow...I’ve heard it’s hard to get tested in the UK. Will people be able to meet this requirement?
    Difficult to get tested for free in certain areas. I don't imagine it's difficult to pay for a private one, as long as you have £125.

On a related note. Me and my wife have our 2nd weekly test today. We have got on a Oxford university research programme. £50 per test each for the first 5 weeks and then one a month for £25 a time for the rest of the year! nice simple little earner! A lady comes to the house with the test (self administered) so no inconvenience either.

Says the person consistently flaming Boris not just on this thread but numerous Covid discussions relating to UK for months, not just weeks or days. Wouldn’t be anything to do with lingering Brexit grudges would it?
    Nope, nothing to do with that. If you think he has managed the situation well I guess you are in a minority of about one.

It detracts from the main point I made which is the selfish behaviour of the idiots that have got the UK into the position it is in and until that changes nothing will change
    This is just bollocks. People are the same everywhere at the end of the day. The worse outcomes in Brazil, the US, the UK have nothing to do with Brits or Brazilians being more selfish than Germans or Taiwanese... its entirely to do with how well the leaders in those countries performed their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    This seems like a better position than your first comment I responded to, and yet still harks back to the presumption that it's 'unwise' to take what is a relatively low level risk?

They went on holiday, had a good time (presumably), didn't catch covid, didn't get 'trapped' and life goes on.

They didn't factor in travel ban's and yet they're more sensible than you? Really?

It sounds to me like the decision to go on holiday was perfectly sensible and you'd make a similar one yourself if it were not for the people shouting 'stay home' blindly at the ether.
    Nah, if it were me, I would have chosen somewhere in the UK. No international borders. Probably Scotland as it's gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    HK is essentially locked down, and is either in a regional lockdown as part of China or in a National lockdown depending on your perspective.

4000 cases in a population of 66 million don't forget.
    As many report struggling to get tested that’s an undercount.

4000 a DAY not total. If you remember exponential growth from school you’ll see why that’s nothing to shrug off.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast