Like Tree160Likes

Travelling to the UK during this pandemic.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    This seems like a better position than your first comment I responded to, and yet still harks back to the presumption that it's 'unwise' to take what is a relatively low level risk?

They went on holiday, had a good time (presumably), didn't catch covid, didn't get 'trapped' and life goes on.

They didn't factor in travel ban's and yet they're more sensible than you? Really?

It sounds to me like the decision to go on holiday was perfectly sensible and you'd make a similar one yourself if it were not for the people shouting 'stay home' blindly at the ether.
    Nah, if it were me, I would have chosen somewhere in the UK. No international borders. Probably Scotland as it's gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    HK is essentially locked down, and is either in a regional lockdown as part of China or in a National lockdown depending on your perspective.

4000 cases in a population of 66 million don't forget.
    As many report struggling to get tested that’s an undercount.

4000 a DAY not total. If you remember exponential growth from school you’ll see why that’s nothing to shrug off.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:

4000 a DAY not total. If you remember exponential growth from school you’ll see why that’s nothing to shrug off.
    Personally not shrugging anything off. I just think quoting a number is pointless without context. Also there are areas of the UK with virtually nil cases.

And of course many who have it will not get tested because they don't know they have it/they have a mild version of it. No doubt all countries are undercounting

Getting back to the original post -'is it safe to travel to the UK'? It all depends.....
    Sage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    Also there are areas of the UK with virtually nil cases.
    That just means that other areas are much worse than the average.
    merchantms likes this.

The numbers are worrying. My son is flying to Heathrow next week to start his year as a grad student at Oxford.

Quote Originally Posted by jonastainine:
    The numbers are worrying. My son is flying to Heathrow next week to start his year as a grad student at Oxford.

Flew to UK last night. Just arrived for a two week stay for family reasons.

Last night the CX flight HKG-LHR was absolutely full. Not one single seat empty. Seemed to be 90% full of young Asian 20-somethings. Your son won't be alone.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    Flew to UK last night. Just arrived for a two week stay for family reasons.

Last night the CX flight HKG-LHR was absolutely full. Not one single seat empty. Seemed to be 90% full of young Asian 20-somethings. Your son won't be alone.
    HK is pretty much Covid safe so I should not worried about the crowded flight but parents keep worried thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:

O.f c.o.u.r.s.e. 4,000 a day is an undercount as is 6,000 a day. I would hazard a guess (based on models) that the actual count in the UK now is between 20,000 and 60,000 infections per day.

And how many of those are dying? Well, in Sept so far that's 239 people.

In the same 23 day period another 46,000+ people in the UK have died of other causes (as they do every, 23 days, on avg.).

46,000 vs 239

Name:  Deaths.png
Views: 215
Size:  68.1 KB
    Cheeky Kiwi and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    O.f c.o.u.r.s.e. 4,000 a day is an undercount as is 6,000 a day. I would hazard a guess (based on models) that the actual count in the UK now is between 20,000 and 60,000 infections per day.

And how many of those are dying? Well, in Sept so far that's 239 people.

In the same 23 day period another 46,000+ people in the UK have died of other causes (as they do every, 23 days, on avg.).

46,000 vs 239

Name:  Deaths.png
Views: 215
Size:  68.1 KB
    That argument never goes away does it?

No idea why the Americans made such a fuss about 9/11, I mean more people die every day there from.other causes.
    merchantms likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast