Like Tree160Likes

Travelling to the UK during this pandemic.

Reply
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,241

    Travelling to the UK during this pandemic.

    My cousin is travelling to the UK with her family (includes two little girls) next week. I was opposed to the very idea and advised her that unless there's an absolute necessity to, she must not make any unnecessary movement. Well, she says she's tired and because it's uncertain when this epic global disaster will end, she just wants to go.

    Of course, I'd like to "go" too. It's been almost a year. But considering the hassle one has to get through, I'm not flying anywhere. No, not right away.


    Has anyone travelled to the UK recently? I guess HK travellers have already been removed from the list of mandatory quarantine (in July). How is it like traveling these days? Very uncomfortable? Not worth taking the risk?


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,373

    I’m London based now.
    No tests etc at Heathrow so literally go through immigration get your luggage and you’re out.

    Public transport is fine, Usual thing wear a mask, social distance etc.

    hannah01 and HK_Katherine like this.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    452

    Don’t forget there is a good chance the UK will be put on the dangerous list soon and coming back to HK will be a hassle with two weeks in hotel at your own expense etc.


  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,241
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    I’m London based now.
    No tests etc at Heathrow so literally go through immigration get your luggage and you’re out.

    Public transport is fine, Usual thing wear a mask, social distance etc.

    I was imagining a delayed entry by check-up's (medical).
    Last edited by hannah01; 23-09-2020 at 06:22 PM.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Silver Coast
    Posts
    782

    I left HK in April when it was at it's worst in the UK... Heathrow was like a ghost town... one person to check our passports and that was it... nothing open... just us and the handful of fellow travelers and crew... It was like being in a movie... se shri's pics... nothing's changed...

    IMO there's no good reason not to go to the UK... keep your distance, wear a mask and wash your hands...

    To add, a pal who's going next week said he a needed a clear CoVid19 test done in HK...

    hannah01 likes this.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    薄扶林
    Posts
    43,410

    Planes are quite empty.. But there is some seasonal traffic from HK to UK with uni / boarding school kids and families.

    No covid test but few staff at border control. Can well take over an hour for non UK passports.

    Everything else seems randomly normal and sometimes bordering ignorant.. (far too many people not masked in public areas / transport / restaurants)

    I suspect a lot will change over the next couple of weeks.

    Mrs. Jones likes this.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Silver Coast
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Planes are quite empty.. But there is some seasonal traffic from HK to UK with uni / boarding school kids and families.

    No covid test but few staff at border control. Can well take over an hour for non UK passports.

    Everything else seems randomly normal and sometimes bordering ignorant.. (far too many people not masked in public areas / transport / restaurants)

    I suspect a lot will change over the next couple of weeks.
    You didn't have to do a Covid19 test?

    My friend is flying Emirates... maybe an airline specific thing?

    Interesting you mention masks... one thing I found in London that reminded me of HK... it's the gweilos that aren't wearing masks!

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    薄扶林
    Posts
    43,410

    No covid test inbound to UK.


  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    Interesting you mention masks... one thing I found in London that reminded me of HK... it's the gweilos that aren't wearing masks!
    Totally unnecessary.

    Where do you keep your shit stirring bucket when you aren't on GeoExpat?
    HK_Katherine and William06 like this.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,241
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:



    To add, a pal who's going next week said he a needed a clear CoVid19 test done in HK...
    Does that depend on airlines you're flying with? Or does the Immigration officials demand it according to the origin of destination? Umm did you have to wear a mask during the entire flight?

Reply
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast