Does anyone know of any umbrella repairer still in business?

Closed Thread

Does anyone know of any umbrella repairer still in business?

With all the current turmoil, I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of any umbrella repairers still operating at the moment please?

I have tried calling Sun Nga Shing but with no success and all I can find is a reference dating from 2018 to (is it still Mr.Iao?) potentially going out of business.

There is also a video of him online saying that economically, umbrella repair is really meant for people with a deep emotional attachment to the umbrella. I buy and sell vintage pens and watches and in the collectables business, that is code for "there are companies out there who would habitually charge twice as much for a repair as it costs to buy the same item". Slightly more deplorably, the code sometimes means "Patek Philippe will make a point of charging more for any repair than it costs to buy a new Patek Philippe"

So I am wondering if he just means that a Swaine Adeney & Brigg umbrella can be replaced cheaply if all you want is to keep the rain off your head but if you want a high quality umbrella, you can still get that umbrella repaired economically.

Last edited by Ugo RIpanykazov; 21-11-2020 at 11:02 PM.

Is that the shop in Dragon Centre?

Shop B1, 314 Lai Chi Kok Rd, Sham Shui Po

The one Anthony Bourdain showed looked like it was IN the Dragon Centre?

Quote Originally Posted by Ugo RIpanykazov:
    Shop B1, 314 Lai Chi Kok Rd, Sham Shui Po

The one Anthony Bourdain showed looked like it was IN the Dragon Centre?
    OK, not sure if it does repairs or is open, but there's an umbrella shop in Dragon Centre.

Actually it wasnt Bourdain, it was some female tv host?

ADD

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.780392)]here is some info found online, hope it helps , B1 shop , 314 Lai Chi Kok Rd Sham Shui Po [/COLOR]

This thread lead me down the rabbit hole of finding the name of the umbrella repairman who had a stall at the end of Peel street up the hill from Hollywood. I found the article below. Yet another piece of Hong Kong that has come and gone since I left.

https://industrialhistoryhk.org/hung...treet-central/