QTS in Hong Kong

Closed Thread

QTS in Hong Kong

Hi

I obtained a PGCE in the UK and now I need to do my QTS.
    Am I able to do it in Hong Kong? If so does anyone know how?

Thanks

My wife was a school principle in Hong Kong. I will ask her later when she gets back. Are you Kindergarten, primary or secondary?

I know some schools take PGCE students through Sunderland University so I would expect them to do QTS too.

Great thanks ! It’s PGCE primary EYFS/KS1.

Not good news I'm afraid. My wife says it's very unlikely. She was Principal of a couple of Kindergartens and they wouldn't have considered a QTS.

Firstly to teach in HK you have to get registered as a teacher with the Education Bureau. For that you would normally need to already have QTS. They are sticklers for doing things by the book. When I went there as a teacher of 30 years experience I struggled to get registered because I couldn't present all the paperwork in the correct format for them as I qualified in the 80's! Got there in the end but it was hard work!

Secondly most schools require 2 years experience or in exceptional circumstances 1 year before they will consider an application.

Having said that, it might be worth contacting schools that are advertising appropriate jobs and see what they say. You might be lucky and find someone who is willing to work with you and make an exception.

Sorry - not great news. Maybe get the QTS in the UK and then try the following year.

Are you confusing QTS with induction? Doesn’t your primary PGCE already confer QTS? Where did you do your teacher training?

Last edited by thespey66; 19-01-2021 at 07:03 AM.