An interesting story...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Agreed with JGL

I too am an overseas Chinese and my Cantonese sucks as growing up I was taught Hakka which was a common language amongst people in the New Territories.

I haven't found it a hindrance at all not being fluent in Cantonese and also not able to read or write it. All it does is restrict the places you can apply for work but then I wouldn't want to work for a 'local' company anyway due to the office politics and the back stabbing and staying late just so your boss can notice it and that crap.

I came over here from London and it took me all of ummm 4 months or so to feel properly settled out here and in a working routine alongside an active social life through lots of wonderful people I've met through here

HK can be seen as shallow and status oriented at times but you soon get used to it and after a while its water off a ducks back.

So don't worry about it and come over whilst you're still young and have fun out here, Thats what I'm doing and don't plan on going back to U.K anytime soon.

Thanks everyone for the insight. It really means a lot.

hey kid, you're 21 yrs old, but you worry like a 41 yr old
    what have you got to lose ?
    worst-case scenario you come to HK, spend X months with all your family members, meet some new people (there are plenty of meet & greet groups on this forum), learn about the culture, and hopefully you'd find a job but if you don't and decide this is not the place for you, you can turn around and go back to Canada ... and hopefully you haven't gotten too old to re-adjust to the Canadian way of life.

You've now got life's most valuable currency and it's called YOUTH ... spend it now before you lose it.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by L-X:
    I guess my main concern after all, is adapting to a whole different lifestyle. For example, growing up with western culture, you learn to hold doors open for people out of courtesy. When I did it in Hong Kong, people just rush through without even saying thanks! Have you guys adjusted to this kind of rude-ness that Hong Kongers exhibit? My parents were both educated in the UK and they find that manners is a major flaw with a lot of Hong Kongers (and as many have said it, it seems that Hong Kong is all about *money*).

You answered your own question here. Humans adapt. I'm sure you'll be able to adapt to the HK enviroment in due time. Just like your parents adapted to life in the UK when they first emigrated. I myself grew up in Ireland and lived in Canada too for the past 20 years. I just came to HK last year having never lived here before, and my canto was minimal. Now, my canto is 100 times better, yet still real slow by local standards, LOL I am still adapting slowly, but surely... but trust me, its no big deal