Moving to hking and will be working in Central

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving to hking and will be working in Central

Is Tseng Kwan O a good place to live?? I also noticed that Belchers and Discovery Bay are good areas too, where are those areas, on HK Island???

Thanks!

Discovery Bay

DB is on Lantau Island.
    It's a 14000 people community with quiet a lot of expatriates. Most of us are commuting every day to central and other areas. To go to central for ex. it takes about 20 to 25 minutes by catamaran ferries, they run every 8 minutes at peak hour and every 20 to 30 minutes in the middle of the day. The pier in central is linked to the new IFC shopping mall.
    We love DB because it is peacefull, relax and with easy access to the busy life of HK.
    From DB you can also be at the airport by direct bus in 20 minutes, you can be in Tung chung in 15 minutes and with Disney opening soon in a nearby bay new buses will be added and it will be even more convenient for us to travel in HK.

DB or another place? It realy depends on what you are looking for...

The Belcher's is an apartment complex located in Pok Fu Lam. Has great facilities for kids, supermarket and its 25 mins to Central.

Rani

Thanks for your help! Since I am a gal alone working in HK, I want to find a place that's safe to go home at night. Any recommendation?

HK is safe!

HK is safe at night. I have been here for 8 years and I have never felt insecure one second even late at night walking alone when I was coming back. When I go back to europe... I am scarred!
    You don't have to worry here.

That's great to hear! since in Melbourne, I never dared to walk alone at night by myself! It's very freaky at nite!

Tseung Kwan O

Tseung Kwan O is in Kowloon. It's a very high density residential area and not very convenient for travelling to Central. The MTR system serves this area, but the supermarkets and shops are not well stocked with western food (if that's what you want).

I personally found it crowded and characterless, but it's OK if you're operating on a tight budget. You could try Quarry Bay or Tai Koo which have more transport connections and easy access to country parks and beaches on the South Side. There are also some reasonably good bars and restaurants at Tai Koo Place.

Thanks Janitor. That's very helpful. I am currently looking at places in Mid Levels and Happy Valley.... any comments on those areas?? The only thing I don't like about them is that there is no MTR station and I think MTR is much more convenient than buses....

Mid-Levels & Happy Valley

I lived in Mid-Levels for couple of years. Good location for travelling to Central, but buses tend to get a bit crowded in the morning. Try for somewhere as close as possible to the escalator. Happy Valley's also a good spot, but race nights tend to create a bit of congestion. Otherwise, no complaints. Good restaurants, good bars, reasonble prices for older apartments and lots of character. Go for Happy Valley.

Smile Another one Lands!

Hey Alabama, congrats on making the decision to come over. I moved over about 6 weeks ago, am living in Mid Levels and loving every minute of it. Its really convenient for central, plenty of facilities and within staggering distance of Lang Kwai Fong of an evening! Agents can go a bit over board in showing you expensive places, just be very frim about how much you wanna spend!

Good luck, drop us a line when you get over here

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast