Need Advice. Relocating from SG to HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need Advice. Relocating from SG to HK

I am very likely to be relocated from SG to HK sometime in Aug 2005. I am working in a IT firm as an IT Manager.

My current package is S$70,000 pa excluding bonuses. I have the follow questions and would appreciate if I can get some valuable advise.

1. What basic package should I be negotiating for to offset the higher cost of living in HK (excluding housing allowance and bonus).

2. How much should I be asking for housing allowance based on 1 bed room apartment 400 sq ft in Hong Kong island? Location should not be too remote.

3. What is the tax difference between SG and HK? Would I suffer a tax deflict?

4. What is the 1 time relocation cost that I should be asking for?

5. Any other thing that I may have missed out.

Thank you in advance.

Hi There,

hopefully this views will help you

Quote Originally Posted by Pally:
    My current package is S$70,000 pa excluding bonuses. I have the follow questions and would appreciate if I can get some valuable advise.

1. What basic package should I be negotiating for to offset the higher cost of living in HK (excluding housing allowance and bonus).

If you already have a housing allowance, maybe you can look at asking for the company to provide you with home leave flight tickets

2. How much should I be asking for housing allowance based on 1 bed room apartment 400 sq ft in Hong Kong island? Location should not be too remote.

it would be better if you first let everyone know where your office will be ?

Check out this site for more info : http://www.ird.gov.hk/eng/tax/ind_sal.htm#07

Are you moving any stuff up from Singapore?Is your company going to pay for it ?

Thank you in advance.

Thanks Speedy

Originally Posted by Pally

If you already have a housing allowance, maybe you can look at asking for the company to provide you with home leave flight tickets

I will certainly be asking for annual/bi-annual flight tickets back home.

How much HK$ per annum should I be asking for to offset the higher cost of living in HK? Assuming my current package is HKD315,000 per annum.

it would be better if you first let everyone know where your office will be ?

My office will be near Admiralty MTR station.

Check out this site for more info : http://www.ird.gov.hk/eng/tax/ind_sal.htm#07

Thanks for this link.

Are you moving any stuff up from Singapore?Is your company going to pay for it ?

Yes I am moving stuff up from Singapore. Very basic stuff like PC, clothings. estimated weight 60Kg.

Thank you in advance.

How much HK$ per annum should I be asking for to offset the higher cost of living in HK? Assuming my current package is HKD315,000 per annum.

Are you moving here alone or with a family ? If alone, based on your annum package with housing allowances, the package is pretty good. For most people, the main cost every month is housing rental or mortage which can be pretty steep (This also depends on where you are staying) . so you monthly fixed cost will only be your living expenses.

Generally, for that size, you will be looking at between HK$5000 - HK$8000 but it depends on location.

Are you moving here alone or with a family ? If alone, based on your annum package with housing allowances, the package is pretty good. For most people, the main cost every month is housing rental or mortage which can be pretty steep (This also depends on where you are staying) . so you monthly fixed cost will only be your living expenses.

I am moving there alone but my girlfriend will be joining me shortly after I have settled in.

My current package in SG is approx HKD315,000. I should be asking for more to offset the higher cost of living in HK. The thing is how much more should I be asking for?

Generally, for that size, you will be looking at between HK$5000 - HK$8000 but it depends on location.

Thanks for that.

Like i wrote, if housing is being paid for by the company then your main cost will just be your living expenses.

From your annum salary, your monthly salary will be about HK$26250.

Eating out is generally more expensive compared to Singapore but it also depends on where you do your dinning.

Does your housing package includes household utilities ?

Housing package will have to include general utilities bills like water & electricty and gas. Does the housing rental usually cover this as well? I am asuming that the apartment is also fully furnished. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This is my monthly salary in Singapore coverted from SGD to HKD. I ought to be asking for pay rise to offset the higher cost of living in HK eg. Transportation, meals etc. Need to ensure that I do not lose out.

If this is the case, how much more do you reckon I should be asking for?

Housing package will have to include general utilities bills like water & electricty and gas. Does the housing rental usually cover this as well? I am asuming that the apartment is also fully furnished. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This is my monthly salary in Singapore coverted from SGD to HKD. I ought to be asking for pay rise to offset the higher cost of living in HK eg. Transportation, meals etc. Need to ensure that I do not lose out.

If this is the case, how much more do you reckon I should be asking for?
    You're need to get confirmation from your company if the housing package includes utilities .

Does your company already have a existing aprtment that you will be moving in or are you suppose to look for your own apartment ?

Whether a apartment is furnished or empty depends on the landlord. Furnished apartments then to have a higher rental cost but some furnished apartments have pretty awful furniture

Do a search on the forums and you can see lots of discussions on the different cost of living in HK. Transportion cost based on MTR is prerry much the same as Sinagpore.

Eating generally is more expensive then Singapore but it also boils down to what are your eating habits. You can find both cheap eating places in HK and also really expensive places.

Generally, for the your salary without having to pay for housing, you can living pretty comfortably but i don't know you nor have any idea the kind of lifestyle you lead in Singapore so i really wouldn't know how much more should you ask. I guess the more the better.

Hi Pally, you should look at some of the online salary survey to see how much you are entitled to be paid in HK as a IT manager at your level. I was earning about the same in Australia as you are in singapore (about 70000 pa inc super), but my earnings in HK in comparison to Australia increased by 60% and by 110% after tax.

I am moving there alone but my girlfriend will be joining me shortly after I have settled in.

My current package in SG is approx HKD315,000. I should be asking for more to offset the higher cost of living in HK. The thing is how much more should I be asking for?

Thanks for that.
    please see above.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy:
    You're need to get confirmation from your company if the housing package includes utilities .

Does your company already have a existing aprtment that you will be moving in or are you suppose to look for your own apartment ?

Whether a apartment is furnished or empty depends on the landlord. Furnished apartments then to have a higher rental cost but some furnished apartments have pretty awful furniture

Do a search on the forums and you can see lots of discussions on the different cost of living in HK. Transportion cost based on MTR is prerry much the same as Sinagpore.

Eating generally is more expensive then Singapore but it also boils down to what are your eating habits. You can find both cheap eating places in HK and also really expensive places.

Generally, for the your salary without having to pay for housing, you can living pretty comfortably but i don't know you nor have any idea the kind of lifestyle you lead in Singapore so i really wouldn't know how much more should you ask. I guess the more the better.
    Housing allowance is for me to negotiate. I will need to ensure that I have everything covered so that I do not lose out.

I have been to HK a couple of times and noted that the MTR is at least twice more costly compared to Singapore if you do a direct conversion from HKD to SGD.

Cost of food per meal even if you eat cheaply in HK cost approx HKD30 per meal. You can get by easily with half that cost in Singapore.

I understand that I should be able to lead a decent living with my current package so long as housing is covered.

Of course for $$$ it will be the more the merrier. I just need to ensure that I am not being seen upon as greedy and ensure that I do not lose out by relocating to HK.

Is there any other advise that you can give me?

Really appreciate your speedy response and advice. Thanks again.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast