Like Tree2Likes

Hitting a dog with your car

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hitting a dog with your car

Hello. If a car hits a dog or runs over one that is not on a leash and the owner isn't around to properly look after it, is the driver liable in any way?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mart1983:
    Hello. If a car hits a dog or runs over one that is not on a leash and the owner isn't around to properly look after it, is the driver liable in any way?

Thanks.
    The driver must stop and report the accident to the police.

A driver failing to stop after an accident is liable to a fine of HK$10,000 and imprisonment for 12 months, while failing to provide particulars and report to police within 24 hours is liable to a fine of HK$25,000 and imprisonment for six months.

If somebody finds the dog and checks a nearby camera you might be in deep shit.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...er-after-video

If it happened, the driver will report it to the police. Once the police have been informed, is the driver still liable? For example, the dog runs out in front of the car and the driver can't stop in time or the dog is laying in the middle of the road and the owner does nothing to get the dog to move.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    The driver must stop and report the accident to the police.

A driver failing to stop after an accident is liable to a fine of HK$10,000 and imprisonment for 12 months, while failing to provide particulars and report to police within 24 hours is liable to a fine of HK$25,000 and imprisonment for six months.

If somebody finds the dog and checks a nearby camera you might be in deep shit.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...er-after-video

If a dog is laying in the road it’s 100% the drivers fault if he hits it!!!!

If the dog is offleash and in a public area and suddenly jumps in front of the car the driver should not be responsible for the accident. Hopefully you have dashcam footage and hopefully you reported it.

The dashcam footage should hopefully spare you of secondary charges like driving dangerously,failure to stop etc ..

Best to just report and deal with shit as it happens... Pointless speculating hypotheticals like that dog barked at a kid 38 seconds before impact etc ...

Morally or legally?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    If a dog is laying in the road it’s 100% the drivers fault if he hits it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mart1983:
    Morally or legally?
    Both!!!!!! Hitting any stationary object is the car drivers fault. If you could not stop in time you were either not paying attention or driving too fast.

Do you have a source for the legal part? If I or any of my neighbours ever hit this dog by accident, of course we would feel terrible for the dog. Unfortunately the owner is a real A-hole and despite repeatedly telling him I and others have almost hit his dog, he refuses to keep it on a leash or properly look after it. So I just wanna know what the ramifications are if I or one of my neighbours hits it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Both!!!!!! Hitting any stationary object is the car drivers fault. If you could not stop in time you were either not paying attention or driving too fast.

You want something that tells you a car driver is not legally liable if he runs over a dog lying in the road? Take a step back and think about what you're saying? How about if it was an old person who fell over? Do you think a car driver can run them over with impunity too? How about a parked car? Shouldn't have been there, but I'm allowed to smash into it?!

what if it is a stray dog?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast