Like Tree22Likes

Remote Working from Thailand

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gardeneast:
    I'm planning on working from Bangkok for a significant time of the year. Hong Kong passport allows you to stay there for 30 days. But there's a 60 days tourist visa which you can apply for and extend it by another 30 days when in Thailand. So in total, you can spend 90 days in Thailand. I probably won't qualify for any other visa and don't want to spend a lot of money in purchasing the long term resident visa.

My concerns are-

1) At some point in future, would the Thai immigration cause any trouble? Or are they very cool with this? I checked out some expat groups on FB, a quite a few people seem to be doing this without any trouble.

2) Are there any trigger points which would create a tax liability for me in Thailand? For example, if I stay over 6 months in a year.

Any other suggestions or feedback would be highly appreciated.
    Without work authorisation you are not legally permitted to work in Thailand. A tourist visa does not provide work authorisation. You're risking penalty payment, deportation and worst case jail.

ad (1) High risk especially for prolonged stay in Thailand and regular 'visa runs' abroad. There has been increasing scrutiny and crack downs on visa violations recently. During the pandemic there was more flexibility, this is now being rolled back.

ad (2) If you stay more than 180 days in total in any calendar year (= tax year) in Thailand then you are deemed a tax resident. If you bring income into Thailand in the same calendar (= tax) year in which it is earned then you are liable to pay income tax in Thailand. Enforcement varies but it is a risk, especially combined with the lack of work authorisation and regular 'visa runs'. There is also permanent establishment risk for your employer if you work in Thailand for prolonged periods. That means your employer may need to pay corporate tax in Thailand.

Thailand last year launched a new Long Term Resident visa with a sub-category "Work from Thailand Professional" which provides work authorisation, 5 + 5 years visa and income tax exemption. Requirement is a certain minimum annual income level and some other specifics e.g. size and type of employer company.
    Beanieskis and riversidejr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by aublumberg:
    Visa exempt 45 days was until end March 2023 hence back to 30 days now.
    Don’t worry, hkmusic doesn’t even know the difference between a visa and visa exempt, so don’t expect too much from her…

Quote Originally Posted by gardeneast:
    Really? I'm able to see some really good options in Sukhumvit area (Thonglo, Asok, etc..) on AirBnB. These are condo buildings with rooftop pool, gym and some even have a dedicated high floor work space.

Quite reliable as most of these hosts have really good reviews.
    Those places will not be approved for short-term stays. Longer term stays ie 6 months/1 year will be paying a lot more than 10k a month.

Quote Originally Posted by walkup:
    Those places will not be approved for short-term stays. Longer term stays ie 6 months/1 year will be paying a lot more than 10k a month.
    In Thailand, as long as you're willing to pay, landlords are willing to look the other way. HKD10k a month properties are not catering to locals.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevil_666:
    In Thailand, as long as you're willing to pay, landlords are willing to look the other way. HKD10k a month properties are not catering to locals.
    The landlord would be breaking the terms of the building management. The suggestion that a 10k rental in Thong Lor is not catering for a local is also a misunderstanding. Do you know the eg. Thong Lor area?
    Last edited by walkup; 28-04-2023 at 07:50 AM.

Just use serviced apartments and then no need to worry about any complications.

Thailand last year launched a new Long Term Resident visa with a sub-category "Work from Thailand Professional" which provides work authorisation, 5 + 5 years visa and income tax exemption. Requirement is a certain minimum annual income level and some other specifics e.g. size and type of employer company.
    Most idiotic and redundant type of visa i have seen in recent years, broadly overlaps with Smart visa and requirements are set up in marijuana induced state of mind, future projections are done on cocaine, Will only encourage people to go for Elite and stay under the radar or move to other Digital nomad visa in SEA, as a matter of fact Elite application is already on the rise..

Quote Originally Posted by ndt:
    Most idiotic and redundant type of visa i have seen in recent years
    Well if it doesn't suit you, nobody forces you to chose it. Elite has no work authorisation and Smart has no work from Thailand whilst employed internationally nor some of the other LTR categories. Requirements are easy to meet for the target segments. Digital nomads are not the target.
    riversidejr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by walkup:
    The landlord would be breaking the terms of the building management. The suggestion that a 10k rental in Thong Lor is not catering for a local is also a misunderstanding. Do you know the eg. Thong Lor area?
    You mean all these places on AirBnB in Bangkok are operating illegally in this manner? They even have monthly discounts

Well if it doesn't suit you, nobody forces you to chose it. Elite has no work authorisation and Smart has no work from Thailand whilst employed internationally nor some of the other LTR categories. Requirements are easy to meet for the target segments. Digital nomads are not the target.
    Lol the numbers speak for itself, your desparate attempt for nuanced classification is not going to change it.. I could go on explaining why it is delusional and why your classification doesnt make sense but rather let the reality speak for itself..

Some excerpt for you..

The Thai Board of Investment (BOI) ambitiously hopes to attract one million LTR visa holders in five years (2022 to 2026), which if successful, could increase Thailand’s domestic economic circulation and investment by US$27 billion. However, the programme has had a faltering start. According to unpublished data from the BOI, by 10 October 2022, only 1,003 foreigners had applied for the LTR visa, of which 56 per cent were filed by domestic applicants – meaning foreigners who already resided in Thailand in some other visa status, while just 44 per cent came from new overseas applicants. Unless this imbalance is corrected, it will be hard to see how the goal of one million new LTR visa holders can be reached; this also suggests that foreigners do not view the visa scheme as positively as the BOI hopes.