Like Tree255Likes

Petty or principle? What would you have done if someone cut the queue?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Petty or principle? What would you have done if someone cut the queue?

Today I was with my wife and toddler on a stroller. We wait in line patiently for the lift to exit the MTR stations.

Out of nowhere, a local elderly woman pushing another elderly woman cuts in front of us. I ask her what she is doing suddenly cutting in front of us.

She says she has priority since she is pushing a wheelchair. I point to my kid in a stroller and ask her what makes her think she has more priority than my kid with stroller? She babbles toddlers on a stroller have no priority over wheelchair folks.

Lift comes and I stand in front of her and block her from entering and just tell my wife to go around her with our stroller.

Both the wheelchair lady and I end up both in the lift , I try to end the conflict there and just ignore the situation but she just starts talking cantonese behind my back how I am rubbish I am and this is HK and how she has priority because she is pushing the wheelchair.

What would you have done? Was I in the wrong? What would you have done?

Just looking for views on how I could have handled the situation better

These days ... ignore the oldies. Never know when one of them will go mental and either commit sepukku in front of you or stab you in the balls.

Seriously... ignore random old fuckers.

Quote Originally Posted by etambusiness:
    Today I was with my wife and toddler on a stroller. We wait in line patiently for the lift to exit the MTR stations.

Out of nowhere, a local elderly woman pushing another elderly woman cuts in front of us. I ask her what she is doing suddenly cutting in front of us.

She says she has priority since she is pushing a wheelchair. I point to my kid in a stroller and ask her what makes her think she has more priority than my kid with stroller? She babbles toddlers on a stroller have no priority over wheelchair folks.

Lift comes and I stand in front of her and block her from entering and just tell my wife to go around her with our stroller.

Both the wheelchair lady and I end up both in the lift , I try to end the conflict there and just ignore the situation but she just starts talking cantonese behind my back how I am rubbish I am and this is HK and how she has priority because she is pushing the wheelchair.

I think I would have given someone in a wheelchair priority even if they were obnoxious. If they were on two legs then ram them in the ankles with the stroller.

get rid of the stroller and get an ergo

Quote Originally Posted by etambusiness:

Tbh, I would have done exactly the same. May seem a bit confrontational but I probably would've had a go at her if she bad mouths me in canto in the lift

I try to rise above these situations and manage to do so with elderly people. Usually a switch flips with younger people and it's on (verbally). Where did this happen by the way?

Unpopular opinion - I side with the wheelchair here….disability trumps kiddies

I could care less as long as there is room for all of us- she loses because first on is last off, so you win by letting them get on first... (unless it's one of those elevators with the opening on the opposite side for the exit then, yeah, whatever).

Can't confront anyone in the USA anymore, you'll get knifed or shot...

VillanElle likes this.

Elderly woman pushing another elderly woman who is in a wheelchair
    versus
    2 able bodied persons pushing a toddler in a stroller.

I would give the elderly women priority.

While the able bodied elderly around here are generally a menace to all social conventions I'd always give priority to someone in a wheelchair, especially if it's an oldie pushing them along. This is an absolute nightmare of a place to get around with any physical disability.

If you're really in that much of a hurry then you've got to regard the stroller (and indeed the kid) as a self inflicted inconvenience.

Kind of reminds me of incidents on London buses where parents with idiotically large “off road” pushchairs refuse to fold and move them to let a wheelchair user use the space. Never much fun for the bus driver (and less fun for the person in the wheelchair) but they are instructed that the bus doesn't move until the wheelchair user is accommodated.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast