Like Tree21Likes

Clinic / GP in Yau Ma Tei

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Clinic / GP in Yau Ma Tei

Hi All,

I just moved to HK 1 month ago and yesterday I experienced stomachache. So i google and found OT&P in central have good and english speaking doctors. They took my blood pressure and check my stomach and give me salt and panadol with sick note. And all this cost me a whopping of 1320HKD. I was shocked! Didn't expect the medical here are very damn pricey.

any clinics/Gp recommendation near Yau Ma Tei with good english speaking doctors that didnt cost a fortune?

newhkpr likes this.

Why not go to a public health clinic? The one in Central is small, never busy, and you'll walk out with meds included for < $100. Their English is fluent.

MABinPengChau, RobRoy and emx like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SirNotAppearing:
    Why not go to a public health clinic? The one in Central is small, never busy, and you'll walk out with meds included for < $100. Their English is fluent.
    Do you need an appointment?
    newhkpr likes this.

Yes, just use the automated call line.

Fifth one down on this list. Call at either 10a or 3p. If it's a busy signal, they're booked for the day and don't take bookings for anything past a 24 hr window.

https://www.ha.org.hk/visitor/ha_isf_result_gopc.asp

Probably get next day, if calling in the pm.

ETA: There appear to be two public outpatient clinics in Yau Ma Tei (no experience with them, though).

Last edited by SirNotAppearing; 30-11-2023 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirNotAppearing:

Probably get next day, if calling in the pm.
    If its anything like the Aberdeen clinic - took about a month worth of refreshing on the HAGO app to get an appt.

Was offered Wanchai and a few other places... never Central.

Anyways... worth a try.

Best bets are for normal medical issues to just go to a storefront GP in your area - they all speak English and you don't need to go to a posh brand clinic. Also try Quality Health.

A reasonable GP appointment should not cost more than 300-500.

Quality Health is fine (we use them for regular dental checkups, too). Good to have options.

JAherbert likes this.

All the doctors I have seen in HK have excellent English - whether public or private. A doctor who qualified in Hong Kong would have needed very good English to get into the medical school. Those who qualified overseas should have good English.

I don't have a particular recommendation in Yau Ma Tei but I suggest you look for a clinic who also has an English name. Agree about the cost - $300-500. Central you pay more for plush offices and polite receptionists.

hin23leung likes this.

OT&P charged me $1600 for some cough syrup, panadol etc. I will say you picked the most expensive one even for Central prices.
    Luckily, my work insurance covers all of it but feel your pain!

diana_ and newhkpr like this.

Or, do it the American way (since we're used to not being able to afford the doctor or get an appointment). Head to Fanda (or your personal favorite pharmacy) buy a bunch of stuff. Since you can even get prescription stuff in HK without a prescription, we check out Dr. Google followed by the nearest pharmacy.

Yes! I was lucky my work insurance cover it but I was taken aback with the price and thought if this is normal for clinics in HK. I guess its not

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast