Handkerchiefs - Superstition

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Handkerchiefs - Superstition

I'm planning to give away personalized handkerchiefs for Christmas to some of the guys in the office but I am wondering if the locals look at hankies as bad luck. Also, I've been told in the past that Hong kongers would rather use disposable tissues rather than hankies due to hygiene issues with the SARS crisis in the past. Wise insights will be very appreciated.

Even before SARS i never saw any Hong Konger use handkerchiefs.

Some of my European customer do use it when they come to my office and my staff always wonder why dont they use disposable tissues who are more hygienic.

I must admit I haven't seen any hankies around town.

Disposable tissues are so cheap and widely available, and as you say, there's the hygiene thing.

Are you trying to make a comment by giving hankies? Are your colleagues very sniffly?

Yup don't get them handkerchiefs and don't do what our bosses just did either and give my colleagues clocks, Especially when we're in the middle of a takeover and flu season

Quote Originally Posted by Sigga:
    Are you trying to make a comment by giving hankies? Are your colleagues very sniffly?
    Not making any comments. I just thought it would be a nice gift but I wanted to make sure that it will be appreciated. If anything, they might think me sniffly as I suffer from allergies.

I'm not local Chinese, having grown up in Oz, but even I think that the idea of handkerchiefs is quite revolting

Come to think of it, I can't think of a single overseas born Chinese person that I know (well) who uses a handkerchief.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Yup don't get them handkerchiefs and don't do what our bosses just did either and give my colleagues clocks, Especially when we're in the middle of a takeover and flu season
    Ok, back to the drawing board! Ugh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    I hope it wasn't a green clock with matching hat

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    I hope it wasn't a green clock with matching hat
    ...with chopsticks poking out from the top...

What's wrong with green and hats?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast