Where to live???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Where to live???

Hi, I am moving to HK next month. I will be working in Central. I need some advice on where to look for a reasonable flat. What can I expect to pay for rent? Any suggestions?

You could also search this forum. This question is asked about every three months.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I'm moving to HK by myself in August. Have lots of research to do apparently.... I've been recommended to look in mid levels. Hard to look for flats on the net!

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix:
    You could also search this forum. This question is asked about every three months.
    Closer to every three weeks!

It is probably the commonest asked questions because it is so hard to work out where on earth to spend the next 2yrs (standard lease term) without knowing very much about the areas. If you can get over to have a look around in advance it will help. I found Sallmanns very helpfull and friendly. If you give them a budget and vague idea they will drive you around and show you a range of places. That said - I still have no idea where I am going to move to (out in August) so will be coming back for another look, or moving to a serviced apt for a while on arrival - or both! Just keep surfing the net - there is lots of info out there - but I agree. It is really hard to decide where to live without being there to get the feel of a place.
    On a completely different subject - does anyone know where to get a good coffee in HK? And I don't mean that Starbuck's rubbish. Any Italians living here?

Sallmanns have a good website as well
    http://www.sallmannsres.com/properties/index.html
    There is also a book you can buy called "Living in Hong Kong" - I found this very useful

Thanks for the advice. Is it common for apartment complexes to have gym facilities and/or pools? Or am I just spoiled to US apt ammenities? ha ha

It's pretty much the same anywhere in the world - the more you pay, the more likely you are to have gyms, pools, etc. Very, very roughly if you are paying less than HK$10K per month for an apartment then I wouldn't expect a gym/pool, but if you are paying more than HK$20K (and it is a big development) then more often than not ou will have some sort of facilties.

Depends where you are more than what you pay really. Here in New Territories it's usual to have apartment blocks where the rental is 3000 - 6500 and have swimming pools and other facilities like badminton and squash courts. Some places even have tennis courts and gym.

Not so much space in Central for these facilities, you'd certainly have to pay for them. Depends where you want to be and how much you want to pay.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast