NO HK ID for ME

Closed Thread

NO HK ID for ME

Hi people. I tried to apply for HK ID april 2004.
    I am a Australian citizen born in Aust, my father is a permanent HKresident, my mother is from Vietnam. Both my parents are now Australian citizenships. A overseas Right Of Abode application for my sister and I was sent the same date I travelled from Sydney to Hong Kong 14 April 2004, So i am unaware of what Documents and Informations was included in the application. After 5 weeks from arriving in hong kong and still no word about my application or a reference letter, I called immigration to check the status of my app, Immigration replied me by phone and email stating application takes times to proceed :end of email. Eventually I started another application for right of abode at the immigration tower 25th Floor , only applicable to applicant currently in HK, all information and documents were provided by my family in Sydney FAXED directly to the case officer handling my new application, for convience and less confusion i will call this apllication CASE 2. After 7 weeks of waiting and continuous hassling about the status of my first original overseas application ( named to CASE 1 ), they eventually responded and said they have started to process my overseas application(CASE 1). 2 Days past by and in the early morning durning my sleeping time ( CASE 2 ) officer contacts me and asked me MR (Kbokusan KAY) your application for right of abode is not applicable, due to the reason you are applying under the sponsor of your father MR [Vincent KAY] a valid HK permenant resident, But your registered BIRTH CERTIFCATE states your father is not MY[ Vincent KAY] but a different name MR [jeffrey LEE], Confused and shocked after hearing this information I pondered for awhile on who to to call ,my mother or father. Very akward postion to be woken up in a zombie state and to be told your father for 22 years might not be your registered father. I ended up just calling home and ask whoeva picked up first, my mother answered and the whole story telling begins. My mother had a Australian citizenship, while my father stayed in Aust with a expired BNO Visitor VISA. My father began to use fake alias to apply for driver License and to register as my father on my birth certificate. 3 years after I was born my parents married just before my mother had given birth to my sister. Then after my father received perment visa to stay in Aust using his original name Mr [Vincent KAY]. REGISTRY OFFICE believed this statement and changed my birth certificate name from (kbokusan LEE) changed to (kbokusan KAY) but not being able to change my registered fathers name, THis is why I grew up not knowing I had a name change and a differnet father name. So very long and complicated story.

1 year after the begining of my first intended application date, After showing all my parents original passports and and marriage certificates and other documents, my parents and immigraition have contacted many times by phone fax and email. Immigration (both CASE 1 and CASE 2) still decides I either do a DNA TEST requiring my father to come to Hong kong to do this $3000+HKD TEST at wan chai, or NO APPROVAL for right of abode. BASED on due to my birth certificate problem [ not able to prove the relation connection between MR [Jeffrey LEE] and my father MR [Vincent KAY].

april 2004 to june 2005- after over 1 year of time spent unable to do anything except for spending lots of money on living and CONTINOUS visa extensions at $135HKD each time, I've had 11 extensions approximately 1 extension per month. This was the result i was waiting for.

Anyways thats my grief story and 1 years spent on life in HONG KONG.
    I eventually decided to marry my 4year relation girlfriend in hong kong, and apply for dependent visa as my wife as sponsor .

started the application 2 weeks ago, Hope everything works out.
    I wish i found this forum earlier, I could of have saved myself lesser trouble

[P.S - names included in this post are not original and are altered for privacy and protection purpose.]

Last edited by kbokusan; 10-06-2005 at 01:03 AM. Reason: altered names for privacy and protection purpose

I hope that getting the right to stay in HK is not a primary factor in your decision to get married - that will almost certainly end in tears.

If there's a lesson to be learnt from this is experience isn't it that trying to manipulate immigration systems is likely to cause no end of problems and probably isn't worth it in the end?

Mixed up Mail/Male ?

07-06-05 @ 09:14
    Well, if you'd read the South China Morning Post on MONDAYS - you would have found the "Take Action" column.

[email protected] - a very useful way of jabbing the Government & other recalcitrant organisations with a sharp stick.

I've been very successful in jabbing bloated Plutocrat Li Ka Shing's "Orange" & - yesterday - landing a few punches on the Police + Transport Dept. !!

Go to it !!!

kbokusan, that was a wild and interesting story. Don't take any notice of what berryplucker said above, he's known for being sour, depressed and having a total negative outlook on life! I think because he doesn't enjoy his own life, he tries to make others feel bad as well. If he could understand what you had said he would realise that you didn't set out to 'manipulate immigration system', but instead applied through all the proper channels. How could you have known what had happened so long ago. Perhaps your parents should have warned you though. Hope all goes okay and you have a long and happy marriage...which i'm sure you will.

Just edited several details out of the original post .. some of these things have a way of coming back to do more harm.

Baron, I've met Pluckie several times.. he's not as bad in real life as he wants his online persona to appear to be.. a semi-fun bloke to have drinks with in person.

419ers are always waiting around the corner

semi-thanks for that KIA

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    a semi-fun bloke to have drinks with in person.
    I think i would have to drink a LOT to be of the same opinion!