• Sydney

19 32.76%
  • Not Sure

6 10.34%

Hong Kong vs. Sydney

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

All depends what you want but:

Sydney: nice city, in a nice country....but far away from everything, over rated and not so much international.

Hong Kong; yeah polluted and the weather isn' easy to get used to. But such a great expereince. U are right in the middle of Asia, u meet many different cultures, u are few kilometers from one of the most amazing country on earth (china). ...food is amazing...HK is a city of opportunities..

Make ur choice...

You would have to say that as far as location, HK wins hands down. You can jump on a plane and go to Thailand for the weekend, and get some cheap deals. You are just so CLOSE to the rest of the world, rather than so far.

Thanks for the info, I've read that they look after their staff with attractive relocation, health care packages and even schooling for children?! - look into it ;-)

Good insights into the thought process behind each person's decisions ....

I agree with many people with the good geographic location of HK, the vast career advancement opportunities for expats, the vibrant social scene and relatively low cost of living (compared to most western countries) -- but remember there are other influences on your decision, family/children, partner allowance etc .... and as Mat pointed out the weather and pollution in HK are yet to be desired (compared the cleanliness and stability of the weather in Adelaide). It may be different/difficult when caring for children, as it will give them an insight into the Asian culture at a young age.

I've only experienced the hustle and bustle of HK and haven't had a chance to experience the islands - but a colleauge is renting in Lamma Island and it will be interesting to see what the lifestyle there is like - for some reason I'm picturing a waterfront apartment!?!

If you can get some short term opportunities, test the water and see what it's like to be a HK local ... and take it from there.

cheers & beers,
    -D

the thing about paying high tax to the government is we cannot control where those money flow to. and having the same guy on the 'throne' for such a long time cultivates dictatorship. for example, Aust went into the Iraq war despite a huge public confrontation. and may i ask, for what? what has Aust got to do in the iraq war? it is the same for Bush and Blair. who managed to give a satisfactory answer regarding WMD? who subconciously funded the war but tax players? and their immigration system. on the surface it looks perfect, even UK wants to copy their system. but I’ve read endless reports regarding manipulation of detainees’ human rights. dont get me wrong, HK is not perfect either. if not Tung didnt have to step down. there wouldnt be a demonstration last year. but the way i see it, i would rather keep my hard earned money under my own control and make donation to charity.

Quote Originally Posted by kbokusan:

Money
    OZ- earn more-pay more tax[ bonus great healthcare and community service ]-nothing to buy so sprend less-property investment;A house in OZ cost $$$$$
    HK- earn less - less tax[ $600HKD per docter visit,extra for dentist, goverment demand rates]- pay day spending sprees-
    property investment;A house in HK cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Six hundred dollars??? Which doctors did you visit?!?!

Tough decision to make

Actually, I once tried to pick amony the following cities for one of my second homes:

o Sydney
    o Vancourver
    o Toronto
    o Hong Kong
    o Singapore
    o Munich

And, I did travel and stay in these cities for some time too before I made my final decision.

My decision was based on:

o Nice weather during Fall and Winter
    o I am from San Francisco Bay Area which is cooler and nice in the Summer but rains in Winter. I can always return home for Summer.
    o Safe. Safety was my number 1 concern.
    o Food. Asian foods (especially, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Indian) suck in San Francisco. But, I can't live on Asian food alone. I need good bakery and bread. Hong Kong has the freshest baked goods around.
    o Nice to be able to fly anywhere and anytime inexpensively
    o Taxes of any kind. Lowest in Hong Kong
    o Outdoor (water) activities.
    o Transportation and costs. Toronto is the lowest but you still need a car there.
    o Emerency health care cost.
    o Night life.
    o Something to do if I get bored.
    o Easy access to world financial markets.
    o Opportunity to make more money if I decide to start another company (high tech) in the future.

Singapore the worst political system, IMHO. It is almost like living in a Communist country. Toronto is too cold in Winter and too hot/humid in Summer. Munich is too "grey". I decided against Vancouver because I can always return home to sky in California and it does not give me any extra dimension. It came down to between Sydney and Hong Kong. Costs of all kinds (living, transportation, food, etc) swinged me toward Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by Peapea:
    Six hundred dollars??? Which doctors did you visit?!?!

Dr. Choi Kin. the same person you see on tvb news ,when asked to comment on health issues. Glasses, half bald ,little hair and does not comb neatly.

$600 if you are not seriously ill, consultation excludes virus shots and other more expensive medicine.

Red face melbourne!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baron:
    Sydney .... Its an over-rated, overpriced city with pretty bad dining and bad planning...but i'm from Melbourne, the greatest city in the world!!
    I could not agree with you more!!!

I was born in Adelaide but fled as soon as possible to Melbourne and am now living and working in Hong Kong

In regards to Sydney vs Hong Kong, I would take HK anyday. People, food, entertainment, Arts etc; an energy and buzz that is unique. Living here I can't help but feel how isolated Australia is. Australia is great and will always be home, but it's so far away from the rest of the world...

In reply to Taguro who likened HK nightlife to a "morgue" - where are you "living" ??? Get out and open your eyes.

cheers
    b.
    Last edited by byronski; 14-06-2005 at 07:34 AM.

but dont you just love the melbourne's weather and outdoors? where you can just lay on the field to read or chat with friends? i've lived in both melbourne and sydney. sydney sucks! melbourne is much better. but seriously, australia is soooooooooooooooo isolated and slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. and as for you, khobusan, shame on you!! no one asked you to visit a celeb doctor.

Last edited by Hachez; 15-06-2005 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hachez:
    khobusan, shame on you!! no one asked you to visit a celeb doctor.
    perhaps, you should visit his office some day ,
    and veiw wall filled with 50+ plaques of different acheivements, and other service and acknowlegment for his medical practice..

its not about him being a celeb doctor,
    put him as a doctor who sees more patients and gains more experience then other unnoticed doctors.

BTW , I choose Sydney, because i like the slow pace