Car insurance -comprehensive or 3rd party

Closed Thread

Car insurance -comprehensive or 3rd party

Hi. As mentioned elsewhere I planned to import a car from UK. Now I plan to buy in HK a second hand C-class (mercedes benz), w204, 2007 made. Do I need to buy comprehensive insurance in HK? I am only concerned about car theft in hk in general and want to do the minimum. bearing in mind hk's car theft rate? i am not sure comprehensive insurance would be worthwhile. any to share in this?

It will depend on whether you want to keep forking out for body repairs. Drivers here seems to judge their parking by the scraping and bumping sounds that they hear. In the past year I've had the front and rear bumpers hit and a nice van scrape all down one side of the car. Same problems with other cars I've owned here.

Theft of vehicles in HK does happen, usually to be stripped down and parts sent across the border with some models more popular than others.

Actually I don't find Comp insurance expensive here so pay for it anyway. Best to check the costs when you get here.

Even if you buy fully comp there may be a condition that the first $5K or so is not covered. You may also loose any suubsequent no-claims-bonus if you make a claim. Make sure of the policy conditions. In short, it's very similar to UK. You may find it best to just buy the legal minimum 3rd party and take the irregular hit of forking out for those bumps and scrapes.