Is $65,000 monthly enough to live on?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

A salary of 65k per month is very good and does put you in the top bracket. But to put things into perspective it is not a particularly high salary compared to those being offered say 10 to 15 years ago. Then you could easily demand 100k plus housing and return flights to your home. The inscrupulous would even dodge their tax liabilities and leave without a trace (though traceable through their employer if pushed).
    I guess you are being offered a contract for a relatively short period of 1 year.
    The very fact that you started this thread leads me to believe that you are probably being paid more than the figure you raised and seek assurance that that figure, though less than what you currently earn, will be enough for this little enclave. The other possibility is that this thread is a ruse - time will tell.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK
    Quote Originally Posted by JJexpat:
    ....so now and then I head to HK island friends...usually the FCC, or my Bollywood class, or dinner etc. ....
    A Bollywood class in HK? Can scarcely imagine what that must be about - ??

Moneybags!

YOU ARE A RICH PERSON. Yes, when/where are drinks on you?
    Sher
    *just go to HK myself. LOVING IT. Best of luck.
    Who is the psychologist trying to disparage you by he way. Ugh. NOT useful.

Last edited by sher; 04-07-2005 at 09:04 PM. Reason: typo

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

A Bollywood class in HK?

nicely spotted HKF
    Obviously JJEXPAT is a cunning nom de guerre for an ace $150k a month dj from the Metro Radio.

++

Desi Dhamaka
    Metro Plus AM1044 Desi Dhamaka makes you feel right at home. Whether you're from Mumbai, Bangalore, New Delhi or Goa, all those places put together will be exactly what you will experience on the hottest weekly radio program for the Indian community in Hong Kong. The one-hour program airs every Sunday from 4-5pm bringing you a range of the latest in the music circuit and the fine clicks of the film world.

Desi Dhamaka will include a taste of local flavor with the likes of Bollywood Blast, Hong Kong Hafta, Aamne Saamne Interviews with Hong Kong stars and much more! All these mixed together by Resham and Vimmi will bring the Indian community from Kowloon Tong to Midlevels a program worth your masala.
    ++

So, it's the DJs that make the 150k ... well, a bit out of my line ;-) There is more than one Bollywood clas in HK ... the one I go to is small and friendly, and fits into an all consuming schedule. Hiking, for example, wipes out a whole day...just don't have a whole day to give very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreammaker:
    Bogs, I am a psychologist and encourage people to look inside themselves for answers instead of external references. One way to do this is to tell people what they don't want/expect to hear. Usually the truth will come to the surface.

So now you have the answer don't worry be happy!
    Hi, can you pls help me look inside myself a little more... I have a chance to work in HK. But my wife will then have to quit her job and join me with my 5mth old baby. SO will go from a dual income to a single income family in a place with a higher cost of living (based in Singapore now). Amongst others, I have a mortgage which I have to continue to service (can sell my car away, at a big loss though) and parents whom I am committed to help support (give some allowance).

I have done some searches on this website and gathered that I should be asking for at least 1.6times my current salary to adjust for cost of living. I do not know what the pension system in HK is right now. But in Singapore, my employer pays an additional 16% of my pay into my account with the Central Provident Fund. Can someone tell me what's HK's system as well as how I should adjust?. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by leech:
    Hi, can you pls help me look inside myself a little more...
    Leech: please send pm
    Dreammaker

um, that amount is PLENTY. im earning $15K per month, pay $5K on rent/bills, and can still save $5K per month.

this was a pretty stupid thing to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashlee:
    um, that amount is PLENTY. im earning $15K per month, pay $5K on rent/bills, and can still save $5K per month.

this was a pretty stupid thing to ask.
    Posted on: 21-06-2005, 10:05 PM

Quote Originally Posted by reinkarnation:
    Posted on: 21-06-2005, 10:05 PM
    i wonder how much would that same job cost Now

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast