acceptable clothing - color blue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by jnettyb:
    Thank you all for your replies... it is nice to know I don't have to discard over half of my wardrobe, and I do enjoy my sandals so those will be coming along too :-) I'm looking forward to my visit... any other pointers?
    Just relax. In HK you can be as casual or as formal as you wish. Its an easy city really. Plenty to see and do for any taste.

hi jnettyb,

i see you are coming in feb. the temp can be anything from 10-21 degrees. make sure you pack some colder weather clothes too,

It really does feel like the author is quite misinformed.

Other than the obvious legal advices, like don't go nude in the public, there's really not much special custom that needs to be observed in HK.

Stuff like 'dress conservatively' is obvious BS. Do whatever you want here.

Oh, and one good advice I can give you is this: no matter where u go in HK, always pack a light jacket.

In the summer, the weather is scorching hot, however, most of the places have the air conditioning on high, and it's almost always freezing in doors. So keep that in mind, and pack a light jacket.

Last edited by Alphacat; 03-02-2009 at 01:50 PM.

HK business attire does tend toward the conservative. Many people seem to think that nothing other than a black suit will suffice.

Outside of the office, expect to see the same mix of clothing you would find in any major world city.

Quote Originally Posted by jahoga:
    HK business attire does tend toward the conservative. Many people seem to think that nothing other than a black suit will suffice.

Outside of the office, expect to see the same mix of clothing you would find in any major world city.
    Well, it's pretty clear that the OP was taking a vacation here, and not on a business trip, so that's not the problem here.

Secondly, I think you're confusing the cause and effect. You saying HK business attire is more conservative (ie. more suits than most other places), and it's true. However, the cause is NOT that HK is a conservative place, rather, HK is premier financial center in Asia. Most people you see here either work in finance or work with someone in finance. HK-ers are not conservative, it's just that people tend to wear suits in the finance industry.

As a local Hongkonger, i have never heard of such "etiquette" .... not wearing white or blue? I almost wearing these basic colors to work and chill everyday..... just relax....

bsh

Actually, I just found this out while discussing with my cousins.

The no-no shade of blue is ultra-marine and in olden days, when someone died, family used to hang a blue lantern outside their home.

Turquoise, sky-blue, deep blue is ok, just not ultra-marine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2