acceptable clothing - color blue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool acceptable clothing - color blue

Hello!

I am visiting Hong Kong in February and recently read here: http://www.vayama.com/hong_kong-etiquette - not to wear blue because it is a color for mourning.

Is there a specific shade of blue? I think about 60% of my wardrobe is blue or a shade of blue so I'm hoping this is just navy blue or something like that.

Any other fashion faux pas to be aware of? I know to wear closed-toe shoes, no flip flops, to bring a jacket for the high a/c indoors... anything else? My boyfriend is living there but is utterly clueless when it comes to these things, and says whatever I bring will be fine. Some people just don't understand the need for a girl to fit in! :-)

Thank you for your help.

I am fairly new here so had no idea that blue was not to be worn including my two blue suits, blue dress shirts, and several blue ties until you posted this etiquette site for HK.

But then again I didn't know you shouldn't turn over a fish as it represents a boat capsizing. I will have to tell my local born and raised 50 year old HK buddy not to turn over the salmon head we usually order when we eat sushi at Ichiban in TST because he does it to get the flesh on the cheek and around the eye. He says "Chinese people eat everything" but he must have missed the instruction not to turn over a fish to get at some of the good parts.

Some of this might be like don't stick your chop sticks in a bowl of rice as it reminds them of death kind of thing. I read that before coming and have asked my friends and business partners and even my 50 year old local friend had to think of the reason. All he recalled was that mama said it was not to polite to do that. He didn't connect it to the death idea until prompted.

I'd like to know if I am to moth ball the blue suits, ties, shirts?

They sure seem to have lots of blue shirts in the stores!

It seems the person who wrote that article has never actually stepped foot in HK.

White is the colour for mourning here BUT brides here do wear white, not avoid it as the article mentions. The dress conservatively part - only a few tank tops seen....WTF? Vest tops and shorts that literally cover what they need to are pretty common in the summer months......I like summer personally.....

And what is that about closed toe shows and flip-flops? Flip flops are one of the most common footwares here and women wear all styles of shoes, open toed, sandals, etc. In all honestly you will not need to change your wardrobe coming to HK, nobody else has or does!

As long as its not everything Blue then its not a problem, So don't worry about that bit.

What is offensive though is Crocs!

Your bf is correct - whatever you wear will be fine. Sandals, flip flops and other open toe shoe varieties are common. I think that you are getting silly advice from that web site

"DO dress somewhat conservatively. Nowadays women wearing tank tops are spotted, but only occasionally.

DON'T wear blue or white in social settings. These colors tend to be for mourning.

DON'T take your top off at the beach in Hong Kong. Public nudity is illegal."

For example, many women here do not dress "conservatively". Tank tops, mini skirts, etc. are common. Blue is not a problem for everyday wear, including to work. Very traditional folks would not wear all blue to a wedding. I assume that the third point is directed at women. Its fine for men to do this in HK, but the web site you provided doesn't seem to distinguish.

Last edited by hello_there; 02-02-2009 at 10:32 AM.

thank you!

Thank you all for your replies... it is nice to know I don't have to discard over half of my wardrobe, and I do enjoy my sandals so those will be coming along too :-) I'm looking forward to my visit... any other pointers?

Last edited by jnettyb; 02-02-2009 at 10:41 AM.

The accuracy of that site can gauged from this section:

Chinese brides do not wear white.
    What a load of bollocks!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    As long as its not everything Blue then its not a problem, So don't worry about that bit.

What is offensive though is Crocs!

How about a blue suit, blue shirt and blue tie?

Quote Originally Posted by Football16
    Together its all too much, Change the blue shirt for a white shirt and you have a much better look.

Or change the tie to a Deep Red or Burgundy if you want to wear the blue shirt.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Football16
    I found a picture of Football16!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast