Advice needed regarding possible move from Ireland to Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Advice needed regarding possible move from Ireland to Hong Kong

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if you could help me.

My husband and I are currently living in Dublin, We are both in our 20's, my husband is a civil servant and I am a former civil servant, I had to give up work after the birth of our son as childcare costs are too expensive. The cost of living here is really high, and we have had a paycut recently and more to come. We're struggling to live on one wage, 70% of it is going on rent and we're just barely surviving.

My husband has the opportunity to take a career break for a year, his job will be waiting for him when he gets back. We are thinking of moving to Hong Kong as my husbands dad is from there.

If we go we would live in my Father in Laws house in a village just outside of Yuen Long.

My husband is hoping to get work as an esl teacher. I'm wondering if it would be possible to survive on the salary, considering that we would have no rent to pay, and what we are used to surviving on?

Are there many esl jobs available or are they difficult to get?

Would we have to pay for private health insurance or would we be able to use the public health system?

We have a 1 year old son, would bringing a family over make it harder to get a visa?

Despite being from Hong Kong originally, my husband was born and brought up in Ireland, mainly by his Irish mother, so he can speak no cantonese and has no ID card.

Is moving to Hong Kong for a year a realistic option for us?

Last edited by EireHK; 10-03-2009 at 11:19 PM.

Living in HK can be expensive and cheap which all depend on what will be your life style. If you plan to be live as a localized, then it is not too expensive (though I found lately the living cost has grown a lot) which means you need to live and eat as a local people but if you need to have the same life style as you are aboard, then most likely you will find the cost will be much higher.
    If you have a place to live free of charge, then you may think of a living cost for a family of 3 around 15000.00HK$ which I believe you can get a teaching job for around 25000HK$ per month. However you
    need to find a job where the employer able to provide a work permit for your husband or yourself then the rest of the family able to come to HK based on family. YOu can get more details by clicking onto the web site of HK immigration or find some threads in the forum.
    You can use the public health facility and yet wud be better if you can buy a travel insurance in UK which will help to cover the cost in case.
    However you mentioned your husband has a Chinese father, if you can
    get any prove of which, then he may able to apply for a HK ID card to
    live in HK without work permit. BY then he can work for any employer without a work permit which will be easier to find a job.
    Good luck to your planning.

There seem to be plenty of families who come over from UK, Aus, USA etc and live quite happily here on what an ESL teacher can earn. Obviously they are not loaded, but seem to survive! If you have free housing then you are in a much better position than most! (I would check what that might entail though, what is considered acceptable living space by locals might not be what you are used to).

Does you husband have any teaching experience? Does he "look" Chinese? There seems to be a strange preference here for 'native english speakers' to look white and foreign - if he looks like a local he may actually be disadvantaged dispite speaking no chinese! If he has no experience, then getting a job is hard. If he has the right certificates (search the other threads) and a bit of experience, then it seems to be fairly straightforward.

I agree with the poster above - he should check out if he can get an ID card which would make life easier. But even so, having a family appears to be no barrier to getting a work visa and with a dependent visa you can work too (child care here is dirt cheap compared to Europe).

Yuen Long is quite far out and not that many expats live there (actually I live relatively close and nowhere is really a long way away in HK!); costs for everything are low in Yuen Long and it has a great Indian restaurant, but except for this you might find western foods etc a big hard to come by if you crave some familiar stuff from time to time! So coming into Central etc to dine could be a bit expensive - worth bearing in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:

Does you husband have any teaching experience? Does he "look" Chinese? There seems to be a strange preference here for 'native english speakers' to look white and foreign - if he looks like a local he may actually be disadvantaged dispite speaking no chinese! If he has no experience, then getting a job is hard. If he has the right certificates (search the other threads) and a bit of experience, then it seems to be fairly straightforward.

Yuen Long is quite far out and not that many expats live there (actually I live relatively close and nowhere is really a long way away in HK!); costs for everything are low in Yuen Long and it has a great Indian restaurant, but except for this you might find western foods etc a big hard to come by if you crave some familiar stuff from time to time! So coming into Central etc to dine could be a bit expensive - worth bearing in mind.
    I agree! im british born chinese and when i was looking for teaching jobs before, there was a bit of prejudice from some schools (and students) who prefered a white foreign english teacher (even if just to show off to the parents)!

also, getting a teaching job is not so easy especially without qualifications. u can teach in primary schools without qualifications on a 2 yr contract and the starting salary in government schools are about HK$21k i think. so without having to pay rent, you should be able to survive
    there maybe other jobs in tutorial schools, but the salaries vary - iv heard from 7k to 20k.

Yuen Long isnt too bad if you are not always going out and not desperate for expat lifestyles. its a bit more local, and actually not too far out as the West Rail takes about 20 mins into kowloon and another 10 mins over to hk island.

Hi,
    Im a current Teacher here in HK teaching English (NET). I also moved from the UK a year ago.
    Does your husband have a degree perferably in English and ALSO teacher training eg TEFL?
    If not, it can be qutie difficult to get a teaching job here in Hong Kong. You will definitely need a degree and also teacher training to get into Primary and Secondary schools. And it is them who pays the higher wage scale (offering the housing allowance of $12k per month, medical, flight etc)
    You can check it out on the EDB website. they have all the info.

Another problem as mentioned before is your husband's lack of HKID. a lot of schools here would prefer you to have one, but thats not to say they wouldn't sponsor, especially if you tick all the right boxes for them. it may just take longer possbily 4 months and also a lot of paper work.
    You CANNOT work at all here in Hong Kong without a visa of some sort.

And if they are willing to sponsor your husband, then you and kids wouldn't have any problem coming into HK with him (providing you two are officially married and can provide proof of it).