QUESTION FOR ALL EXPATS

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

well then in effect he did pay for the cost in lost rental income(assuming he could have rented it out at initial asking price)...sounds like a good deal for you tho!

Quote Originally Posted by timklip:
    well then in effect he did pay for the cost in lost rental income(assuming he could have rented it out at initial asking price)...sounds like a good deal for you tho!
    Indeed, in effect he did. Whether he could have rented out the place at the original rate or not - who knows. The issue was whether it ever makes sense for the tenant to renovate a rented place. Clearly in my case it did.

fm7

I know one of the people I mentioned did negotiate a similar deal for lower rent. But, they got slammed when the renewal came through and the landlord wanted a lot more because the property was higher quality.

It was January when we were looking for apartments and the agent told us you don't need heaters in winter in hong kong. it wasn't until april rolled around that we found out a 1hp a/c unit is not enough to power the living / dining room.

Make sure you have sufficient A/C and they work well!!!!

the a/c's should be listed in the lease as included (or some words to that effect), along with any other appliances....these become the responsibility of the landlord to maintain in good working order...i've had to replace water heaters and fridges, both at the landlord's expense

I did my first stint in HK in the early 90's, and back now. I'm from the US, own a nice home there. I don't find the quality of fittings in flats here to be all that bad. I'm looking at places in the $30-$50k range, everywhere from Sai Kung to Kowloon Tong to Happy Valley. The biggest compromise I see is location vs. space -- you can get a village house for less than many flats on the Island. Maybe my aversion to the south side breeder zone is keeping me away from the problems...

Bathrooms and kitchens, fittings, floors etc are all better in buildings that are entirely owned by one landlord. They tend to always put apartments back to a certain standard when someone leaves and I guess from buying in bulk they can afford to update quite regularly. We looked at lots of buildings and were shocked by how ugly most were. The one we're in now has everything we could want except a backyard of course and we're in a similar budget to the OP.

I've also known lots of people to do up places a bit themselves. Labor here is so cheap it can really be worth your while. Not like back home where you would never consider doing up a rental.

As for ovens. When I asked a friend why most apartments here don't have ovens, they answered, 'when have you heard of a local HK family having a roast for Sunday dinner'?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4