Serviced apartments or renting one ?

Question Serviced apartments or renting one ?

Hi,

Can anyone advice if staying in a serviced apartment or renting one would be more feasible in HK?

Am single and serviced apartments look like an easy way out.

btw, I'll be on a 2-year posting to HK.

Thanks
    Matt

Matt,

We've looked at a couple of serviced apartment type buildings in HK when we had to evacuate out flat for a couple of weeks and found the following.

-- You're paying a premium over the regular rents
    -- The apartments are small
    -- Service is limited i.e. no laundry facilities
    -- Flexibility .. you're not going to be able to move that 60 inch plasma tv that you just spent your bonus money on, into the serviced apartment. And I'm sure you know you'll need one of those..

If you're here for 2 years, you should be able to get a 1+1 deal (very common in HK) which allows you to get out of your lease after 12 months. Make sure you tell the estate agent you're looking for a furnished apartment.

It is fairly easy to get temporary help here in HK to do a twice a week clean up / laundry / ironing. Either through an agency (slight premium) or by looking at some of the classifieds in your nearest Welcome or Park 'N Shop supermarkets.

Rents are pretty decent now .. check out the serviced apartment listings we have on our site (about 20 odd are listed) and also check out the rentals on www.gohome.com.hk should give you an idea.

If you're want to live around Lan Kwai Fong, one of our members has a flat available with some furniture.

And we've got a couple listed here.

http://www.geoexpat.com/classifieds/...5&b=172&page=1

Do make sure you take a look at the renters guide.

http://www.geoexpat.com/Hong_Kong/Ac...ong_Kong_L433/

I would suggest to be careful when signing contract if you are not sure what you are getting exactly.
    I came to HK first time, it was 9 months ago and since my company used to rent apartments in Gateway, I also did it.
    It took me less then 1 month to realize that this is so overpaid! 30K for studio! I am trying to get out of contract now but i have to find new tenant by myself - which is not easy!
    It is better to come before plan, stay in hotel and research places you are interested. My daily rate in serviced apartment is more expansive then 5 star hotel.
    If you are not sure about the place you consider, don't sign any longterm contracts and better pay fer K more - you will be free to choose later.
    Hope I helped and good luck!

You pay a premium for serviced apartments. In fact, you can sometimes find the exact same apartment in the exact same building not a 'corporate; place for a substantial savings.

I'd recommend a corporate furnished for a month or so, but then go for a 1&1 lease or something, or a 23 month lease (landlords can be jerks, so if they are a jerk about 23 months than you know this is not someone worth renting from).