Setting up a Branch/Rep Office in HK

Closed Thread

Question Setting up a Branch/Rep Office in HK

Hi there,

I've been reading a LOT of posts and I have to say your forum is the best out there information-wise. Congrats to all of you!!

On my side, I'd like to know if any member have experience with setting up a branch or rep office for a foreign incorporated company (US). I've been on the InvestHK website and I'm still waiting for their reply, but basically my situation is the following:

-My job will consist in opening the HK branch of the US company to provide tech support to the Asian region - Am I right to assume that my case does not fit under "investment visa"?

-Position would involve intensive travelling all over Asia for training and tech support duty calls - How many times can I re-enter HK under a Business Visa (Thinking about taking a Business Visa at the begining, to investigate options)?

-Once the business entity(branch/rep office) is setup, I could then apply for employment visa (Sponsorship). Anybody who's been through this process before?

-I also read few posts about "Directors" of company that do not need a work visa.. Any comments about this?? Maybe it would work for my case since I'm only providing consulting services and could be paid on my US account...

If you have any insights about my situation or just want to comment my assumptions, I look forward to hearing it!!

Tony

>> opening the HK branch of the US company to provide tech support to the Asian region - Am I right to assume that my case does not fit under "investment visa"?

No it does not.

>> How many times can I re-enter HK under a Business Visa

No limits. Unlike the US, the HK Visa is a "permission to stay" and not a "permission to enter". While you have permission to stay, you can enter (and leave) as many times as you want.

>> Once the business entity(branch/rep office) is setup, I could then apply for employment visa

Yep. Fairly braindead process if you have an established US company.

Contact Raymond Choi at CMS he works with a fair number of our members on here on company formation issues. ( http://www.geofinance.com/contact/raymond-choi/ )

>> -I also read few posts about "Directors" of company that do not need a work visa.

Elaborate scams ... you're all set with a proper work visa if your requirements and qualifications are genuine.

>> could be paid on my US account...

Wait .. did I say genuine?

If you're going to be employed in Hong Kong, you want to get paid in Hong Kong... given that over time you're going to need local credit and pay your bills locally. Overseas banking can turn into a pain in the arse if you're just trying to pay your utility bills.

Thanks for the reply KnowitAll... I guess your name fits you well hey??
    I already contacted Raymond Choi @ CMS and we'll see how things work out for me... All together it's not a cheap service once you include immigration + company establishment... I just hope it's a fair service and not a scam...

Thks again.

W&T :

Drop us a line if you have problems. Raymond has come highly recommended to us.. and I know where to find him and beat him up if you need that done.